Starting a guppy tank... questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting up a 5 gallon guppy tank.

1. Should it be planted?
2. How many males/females can I have in a 5 gallon?
3. Possible tank mates?
4. Temperature?

Any other advice?

Nik

1. That is all up to you. I like having a planted tank, while others prefer not to. (this also depends on your lighting)

2. 1 male to 2 females is the normal ratio.

3. With a 5 gallon tank, you are pretty much at your max (if not over) with just 3 guppys. Maybe a couple of shrimp and some snails.

4. 74 to 78 degrees will be fine.

Be careful on your feeding. A smaller tank is harder to maintain, so over feeding will have a big effect on your parameters.

You can choose to plant or not, rkilling1 is quite correct, 3 guppies will pretty much be a max for a 5 gal. Esp if they breed, then you will need more space for fry. A suggestion, check for a cheap 10 gal tank, your stocking is larger and the tank is easier to take care of than a 5 gal. It doesn't take much more room than a 5 and most of the time the cost difference is minimal.

For guppies I prefer temps be at 78-80.

niks93gt said:
I'm starting up a 5 gallon guppy tank.

1. Should it be planted?
2. How many males/females can I have in a 5 gallon?
3. Possible tank mates?
4. Temperature?

Any other advice?

Nik

1. I like natural plants...fishes like them too...
2. 1m/3f would be fine.
3. xifos, mollies, shrimps...
4. 78 is fine...

Do not overfeed. If your tank is warm you are likely to have fry easily..!!!

1 male and 2 females will probably be where I start, and a couple of snails. I got this tank for $12 with hood and pump and I had enough substrate lieing around for it. All I need for it is a heater/digital thermometer and its ready. The g/f wants guppies... I'll probably just stick the fry into the dwarf puffer tank to supplement their bloodworm/snail diet. Thanks for the info guys!

Nik

When I drop snails in the tank, they normally don't even touch the bottom before the puffers get them... I kinda fingured it would be the same with small fry. Then again, I've heard my puffers are abnormal... a lot of people say it takes a while for puffers to eat and get acclimated to their new tank. Mine ate the first time I fed them and by the second time, they were swimming right up to the dropper.

Nik

Back
Top Bottom