Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Starting a new community, could use some advise

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since i've been on. Hope everyone is doing well. I finally found a home for my remaining tin foil barb and my two irredesent sharks. I would like to start a new community tank. I have a 55 gallon tank and would like to have a pretty easy tank to care for, no fussy fish and no fish that will eat other fish or fin nip. I can get them all at once though, so this may help with territory issues. I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions as to what types would go good together. I generally like friendly fish.
The reason I'm getting rid of my fish is the tin foil just eats everything else, or all the other fish die cause I think these big guys use up too much oxogen or something. The catfish are just too skiddish.

Would like something long term that won't grow too big and can all coexist together if that can happen.

Thanks for any input, I'm still quite the newbie.

Mary

Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm also looking into Brackish. I've never tried it.... Seems like there's some pretty cool looking fish I could get if I did.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nevermind. Brackish seems more time consuming. I'll stick to fresh...hehe. The simpler the better.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Actually brackish isn't much different than fresh. I have both. Only difference is you need to monitor salinity, and most likely need to mix salt when you do a water change. Just depends on what type of brackish fish you're keeping and if you want to keep it as close to natural with the tidal fluxes between fresh and brackish.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

How do I monitor the salinity? Is there some sort of monitor I can hang on the tank? Or is it a drop test or something else? Thanks for the info! Maybe I will consider, if it's not too hard...

Tags
community, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com