Starting a new community, could use some advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

It's been awhile since i've been on. Hope everyone is doing well. I finally found a home for my remaining tin foil barb and my two irredesent sharks. I would like to start a new community tank. I have a 55 gallon tank and would like to have a pretty easy tank to care for, no fussy fish and no fish that will eat other fish or fin nip. I can get them all at once though, so this may help with territory issues. I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions as to what types would go good together. I generally like friendly fish.
The reason I'm getting rid of my fish is the tin foil just eats everything else, or all the other fish die cause I think these big guys use up too much oxogen or something. The catfish are just too skiddish.

Would like something long term that won't grow too big and can all coexist together if that can happen.

Thanks for any input, I'm still quite the newbie. :)

Mary :)

I'm also looking into Brackish. I've never tried it.... Seems like there's some pretty cool looking fish I could get if I did.

Actually brackish isn't much different than fresh. I have both. Only difference is you need to monitor salinity, and most likely need to mix salt when you do a water change. Just depends on what type of brackish fish you're keeping and if you want to keep it as close to natural with the tidal fluxes between fresh and brackish.

How do I monitor the salinity? Is there some sort of monitor I can hang on the tank? Or is it a drop test or something else? Thanks for the info! Maybe I will consider, if it's not too hard...

Back
Top Bottom