Starting a new tank, familiar with Tanking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewokbuns

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all! As you can tell I'm starting a new tank. My last few tanks didn't go so well. I needed a break/do over. This time I'm gonna stay focused and keep up with it. So, to answer your questions..
1. My favorite type of fish, are Betta Fish.

2. I want my tank to be planted, I was thinking more like a pond type of tank.

3. I have the proper lighting/filtering for the tank. Also, I want the tank to be about 10 Gallons.

4. I know bettas don't get along with many colorful/showy fish, but I want a few other fish in the tank.

5. I'm going to try to get my tank cycling by Friday.

Yo I'm Ewok! I'm w HUGE gamer and fish keeper!

I can't help with all the questions, but,
from my research and recommendations from friends,
Platy fish or dwarf catfish would be a good choice 5-6 of either kind :) Nothing with a showy/very colorful tail should go in there with them (as a general rule, but can depend on the betta). I came across some other suggestions too, white cloud mountain minnows for example can work according to what I found online when I was doing my research on this subject :) I'm sure there are a few more that I am forgetting.

Good luck :D We just got some dwarf catfish to go in our tank with our betta. We got them today, cycle finished on the 20th so our betta is back in the 10g. The catfish are temporarily in a 5g while we monitor their health :)

I can't help with all the questions, but,
from my research and recommendations from friends,
Platy fish or dwarf catfish would be a good choice 5-6 of either kind :) Nothing with a showy/very colorful tail should go in there with them (as a general rule, but can depend on the betta). I came across some other suggestions too, white cloud mountain minnows for example can work according to what I found online when I was doing my research on this subject :) I'm sure there are a few more that I am forgetting.

Good luck :D We just got some dwarf catfish to go in our tank with our betta. We got them today, cycle finished on the 20th so our betta is back in the 10g. The catfish are temporarily in a 5g while we monitor their health :)

Thats awesome man! Thanks for the feedback and goodluck with your tank!

Ps: I've always loved the catties ?

Yo I'm Ewok! I'm w HUGE gamer and fish keeper!

You're welcome and thank you!

I like catfish too! Since we aren't going bigger than 10g for a long while anyway, and we still wanted catfish, dwarf was the way to go for us! :D

Good luck with your tank too! :D

Beta, dwarf corycats and some live plants sounds good. Light shouldn't be that much of an issue in that small of a tank.

I wouldnt put 5-6 platys in a 10g. Tank size is ok but the fish are 'dirty' fish. They produce a lot of waste

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with sk3lly, 8 habrosus corys and a betta would be decent with a load of plants..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We have 5 pygmycat fish but I am going to get 2 more tomorrow so long as they haven't sold them all, and 1 betta. I think 7 should be ok in the 10g eventually (they are being monitored in a 5g for now. Don't worry, we never intended for it to be permanent in the 5g. If for some reason the betta is a meanie to them, he will go in the 5g lol). We want to get two more because they will be a little happier with more of them.

Gosh they are little WEIRDOS and I love it :) They love to pigpile in the corner, and there is one that kinda stays alone sometimes, so I call him/her Loner fish lol.

The store has them labeled as these:
Corydoras habrosus (Salt and Pepper Cory) — Seriously Fish

But they are really these as far as I can tell, each time I look at them and pics it becomes more obvious they are these:
Corydoras pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory) — Seriously Fish

I want to tell them at the store tomorrow when I get two more, but, not sure if I want to argue with the people there that have worked there since 1997 and have been hardcore hobbiests for 10 yrs before that... oh well...

I am not upset by the mixup, we were going to get whatever dwarf catfish were available at the time anyway, but, I think they should be labeled right.

Anyway that is kind of off topic, but, good luck with your tank :D These catfish are so small but I love them... they are amusing to watch! A pain to catch, though, if you have to net them and then put them back in...

I wouldnt put 5-6 platys in a 10g. Tank size is ok but the fish are 'dirty' fish. They produce a lot of waste

Thanks for the info :) Would 4 of them be okay do you think?

I think youd be better going with ember tetras or celestrial pearl danios

Thanks! :) I was just wondering for future reference. We are all set with our fish for now, but OP would love the info too I think.

Platys were suggested to me by a friend for a companion with the Betta, which is why I suggested it. We REALLLYYYY wanted catfish though, so that's why we went with them :)

Yea the pygmys are cool. I got them in my tank. Be sure to use a smooth substrate otherwise their delicate barbels can b worn down

Yea the pygmys are cool. I got them in my tank. Be sure to use a smooth substrate otherwise their delicate barbels can b worn down

:) On it already! We started with gravel but when we learned it was bad for their little mouths and barbels, we switched it out for sand (way in advance of getting them!). Waste of $20 on the gravel, though :/ We refused to get catfish when we did not have sand because why risk hurting them? No no no.

Back
Top Bottom