Starting a new tank...stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebob69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all...I'm a new user to this site and i've been monitoring the forums for a few weeks now. Just wanted to say you guys are very helpful and very tolerant of those of us who are new to the hobby.

I am going to start my first tank and have some questions. I am planning on buying a 30-33 gallon setup. Entertaining the idea of a low-light community tank.

First of all,

Could you recommend a quality filter that I might use? My LFS has a package deal for a 33 gallon with a heater, an AC-200 filter, and some other accessories for about $230 CDN (approx. 175 US$).

Would you recommend such a package for a newbie or should I buy separate components?

Mostly, I am curious about my stocking ideas. If you see any compatibility problems (temperment,environmental, or otherwise) please let me know.

A school of tiger barbs
School of zebra danios
A couple Gouramis of some kind
A small school of corys
Possibly a few smaller loaches
Some algae eaters if necessary

I'd appreciate any advice or insight you might be able to provide. Thanks in advance for your help.

It SOUNDS like the deal is good. I am not brand familiar enough to say about the AquaC. A wee bit higher than my one store..lower than most. Depends on what kind of heater..and what the other acessories are.
33 is a nice size to start with.

I'd dump the gourami (and I love gourami)and put a different mid/top dweller in their place (barbs may not resist the whiksers and they can get hostile as well.
Find something flashy that is in a more compatible aggression/body language with the barbs.
Not sure about the danios.. somebody? I think they are okay as far as temperment and size go. It is my beddy bye time so i can't remember ..heh!

I'd take the deal spongebob. :D I think the filter might be somewhat under powered but it's a good idea to add a second one (I'd suggest a canister like the fluval 304), at a later date.

I wouldn't reccomend you take it, you can get a better deal ordering the stuff on big al's (shipping is free on purchases over $35)

Aquaclear 300 (much better for a tank your size than the 200) - $48
http://bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22127;category_id=1721

Ebo-jager 200w (Best on the market, MUCH better than anything you'd get with that kit, although its a tad pricey) - $41
http://bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22355;category_id=3231

Big al's Online doesn't sell big tanks, but I'm sure you could find one with a hood for under $100-150 if you shop around or maybe even look into used ones.

You're still around $230 but you get an upgraded filter, and an awesome heater that wont break within the first month, like most "kit" heaters do.

wow, Big Al's is ripping people off on the AC 300. My LFS is kinda pricey, and their AC300 is only $42.99.

I think you should skip their kit and assemble your own. AC300 filter, a 100-150 watt Visi-therm or Ebo-jager heater.

wow, Big Al's is ripping people off on the AC 300. My LFS is kinda pricey, and their AC300 is only $42.99.
That's $48 CAD. With the exchange rate, it's a better price compared to your LFS. :D

[center:a79d4b0a01] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, spongebob69!!! :n00b:[/center:a79d4b0a01]
I'm with Endgame on this--there are better deals and you will want to upgrade/add another filter later. I have a Fluval 104 on my 29 gal and it does a great job. Various Fluvals work for the different tank sizes. Personally, I think a 304 is overkill.
Did this deal include the stand? I just bought a 50 gal with stand, all glass top and light for $310 CAD. Then my fiancé and I found a brand new Fluval 304 for $100 ($30 cheaper than Big Al’s) at a tiny LFS. The Fluval is "last year's model" but who cares.
It pays to shop around :wink:

I notice all the "lower" prices you all are quoting..BUT....

He said about 175 in US dollars.

Big Als prices you quoted are US. Cept one item with meangerie..
My wanna-be-snob high priced Marine specialty store has the bigger Ebos (100-200 wattt) for under 40.
If he is getting a set up with a slightly weak version of a good brand in a set up for 175..why would he want to pay 230 US (which will be like 300 CD 0_0). he can just stock accordingly until he can upgrade.
And what brand heater is he getting..he said it is a small lfs "kit" not a retail kit.

Just pointing these things out..if AQ is a good brand I figure 175 for a tank and the works is not bad, unless he got used. Not the very cheapest..but all in one shot, ,no waiting, ordering, shipping. Depends on how much he weighs hassle versus cost. how much time and effort will getting cheaper end up costing?

My 40 gallon was 60 bucks. But that is becuase he is moving them out and I am customer in good standing. But if I had bought the heater there and an Aquaclear and a hood it would have been about 160. Don't even mention what it'd cost me at a big retail chain..ack! How available are good deals in his area..isn't he in a more inland (=shipping tacked into price) rural area of Canada?

Edit: Plus the extra 10-15 bucks tacked on for "research pricing" may get him good repoire with this shop as a customer..and he can get deals on fish or food. If he LIKES this shop and owner.

Endgame and I are both in Canada, speaking in Cadanain dollars. My Fluval 304 was $100 CAD.

I occassionally get a dollar off a fish at my fav LFS, but I don't believe you need to shop the same place all the time. Nor do you need to buy their kit. JMHO, but since coming to Canada, I think there are less "free lunches" up here compared to the US. You are lucky at your LFS, Christmasfish.

Ah..it is a CANADIAN page then...
still seems kinda high for that particular item.
Has a hot magnum kit that is way better priced..go figger
Do prices from State to State vary much in Canada like here in the US?
Or is it pretty much close all the way across? ~sigh~
Now I remembered I wanna go to Whistler this summer..

Yeah..I do like my lfs. And prices in shops can shock me. Best kept secret.
Regular consumers would be off put by the fact that his blackwater tanks are murky and he has algae at the back of many tanks. And specie oriented people may get concerned at his weird mixes. But the only really tore up fish he has are the dwarf gourami...and they only keep company with gourami ^_^.
He gets a few surprise oops like the khuli loaches.And he doesn't research differences much in fish types he carries at customer behest... he is a cichlid and tetra guy more than anything. Neiher does he put on airs.
(the flag tail panda he firmly said wasn't Panda cory. It isn't. Heh it's neater!)
His discus are all large and bright, his neons are the best I ever saw ANY where.
And that's what keeps me returning..the fish that get past his QT are always bright and alert. and other than the khulis..nothing ever came up ill.
I don't buy tops or heaters from him. I will get everything else I am after from him if he has it though.

Actually..to find cheaper or to get good links.he needs to say WHAT the "other acessories are......(many eyes looking are better able to spot out than one) :p

Tank
Heater
AQ200
And......?
top? Lights? gravel? what?

Currently, 1 CAD = 0.751310 USD
Basically take 25% off the Canadian prices and you have the US price.

You have a Big Al store in town? It would be worthwhile checking their prices.

We have one in Edmonton & last I check (Feb) they have a 55 gal with top/ light. penguin 400, ebo heater & bunch of extra for about $280 canadian. You can pick out a 33 for less.

The deal did not include any type of stand. Basically, the deal included: The 33 gallon tank..w/ hood and lights(not sure of wattage, probably not much, hood said aquaglow if that means anything), fish food, a fish keeping video, an artificial plant, heater (not sure of the brand or wattage), and the AC 200 filter and media. Not sure if there was an air pump w/ stones or not.

The store was a "pet store" in my local mall. Not sure if it's a chain store or not.

Not too sure how much pricing varies across Canada but i'd guess it does vary somewhat, even if you just take into account different provincial taxes. I live in a medium sized town probably 160,000 pop. about halfway between Toronto and Ottawa.

I just moved up here and have no idea about prices. I do know that if you shop around, you will be happier in the long run. Also, Big Al's internet prices beat the in store price. I would say the price at the mall is probably not the best deal (unless it was some GREAT, HUGE sale). As I mentioned earlier, I got a great deal on an older Fluval 304 (I said 104 earlier :oops: ) at a tiny LFS. What I did not mention is he had the current models for $125 CAD--still cheaper than Big Al's online.

The 33 gallon tank..w/ hood and lights(not sure of wattage, probably not much, hood said aquaglow if that means anything), fish food, a fish keeping video, an artificial plant, heater (not sure of the brand or wattage), and the AC 200 filter and media. Not sure if there was an air pump w/ stones or not.
So when you break it down, you are getting a tank, unidentified heater, hood with light (never heard of aquaglow), filter (AC=AquaClear?) and media. I have not seen kits come with air pumps.
The video may be amusing, I got one with a kit once, but this site is soooo much better than any video. In my $97 (with taxes) kit came the tank (10 gal hex--no stand required, my end table holds it nicely--we tested it first :twisted: ), hood with light, 100 watt VisaTherm heater (box said there would be a 50 watt) and a TetraFin filter. I had to switch out the heater (too much wattage) and I switched out the filter for a mini bio wheel (I had it already). The filter that came with the kit now runs one of the QT tanks and the heater is being stored until it is needed. My instructional video was tossed in the GoodWill box :roll: (we were unpacking and realized we didn't need a bunch of stuff).
I could have saved more money by checking the classifieds, but I really wanted the hex tank. You want a standard tank and you will need a stand. Keep in mind, that I bought a 50 gal tank, cover, tank and stand for $331 (with GST). A while back, I bought 3 new Ebo Jagers on eBay (saved money there).
Spongebob, you are in an area where the shopping should be decent (based on population). Give yourself two weeks to look around and I bet you come up with something better.
For fun, read the sticky on the cost of FW set-ups in the Getting Started forum.

Stocking:
A school of tiger barbs
School of zebra danios
A couple Gouramis of some kind
A small school of corys
Possibly a few smaller loaches
Some algae eaters if necessary

As Christmasfish said, don't get the gouramis with the barbs. On the other hand, you could get Serpea tetras and not the barbs (I do not know how this affectes the Gouramis). I think barbs are great looking fish, but they have a nippy rep. As for algae eaters, I love my Rubber Lip pleco (stays small up to 4-5", but I rarely see him, BUT my tank is clean).

Back
Top Bottom