Starting a QT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what I needed to do to get a QT tank started. I have a 20 gallon empty tank that I would use. Other than bare bottom and a heater along with a HOB WHat else does it need? I've seen Some people use the bubble filters would that take the place of the hob? How would I cycle it? Also, I wouldn't need to leave it up permantly would I or only when I plan on getting new fish. What's the process of using one? Just put new fish into there for a week and make sure they are healthy, or should I treat anything unseen in the QT tank?

I was wondering what I needed to do to get a QT tank started. I have a 20 gallon empty tank that I would use. Other than bare bottom and a heater along with a HOB WHat else does it need? I've seen Some people use the bubble filters would that take the place of the hob? How would I cycle it? Also, I wouldn't need to leave it up permantly would I or only when I plan on getting new fish. What's the process of using one? Just put new fish into there for a week and make sure they are healthy, or should I treat anything unseen in the QT tank?

I used to just take filter media from the DT to cycle the QT. Now I have it running permanently growing plants as well. I leave new fish there a week to two weeks, I've seen others do longer.

Biggest problem for me is ich or if I'm really unlucky, a bacterial infection. I don't bother pre-treating as ich is easy to deal with for me and bacterial infections so hard I combine some treatments (salt, temp, meds) that I wouldn't want to do as a just in case.

I keep extra sponges in my DT that were started 2 weeks apart so when one has outlived it's lifespan I still have another available for the interim. I only treat what I can see (if I do find something) in the QT. I purchase all my expensive FW fish from the same source and have never had to treat as my supplier is prolific at treating in his facility and an extremely trusted source.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Technically, you're talking about two different things here.

Quarantine tanks are used to temporarily house newly purchased, presumably healthy fish just in case they're not healthy. The goal is to avoid infecting your main tank. Most folks quarantine them for three weeks. These can be set up and taken down as needed.

Hospital tanks are for sick fish in your main tank. Obviously, you'll want to use these to isolate the sick fish from your healthy fish, but also to isolate your healthy fish, inverts, and plants from the medication(s) that you'll have to administer. Ideally, these should be left up and running permanently, but real life often does not allow for that. Some folks run a sponge filter or second HOB filter in their main tank and move it over to the hospital tank to "instant cycle" it. (Keep in mind that a cycled filter doesn't have the bioload capacity of a mature cycled tank, so you'll only be able to house a few sick fish at a time.)

You can use the same tank for both tasks. Just be sure to sterilize everything in between uses.

I have a cheap 10 gallon "kit" aquarium that I use as a quarantine tank. I cycle by seeding with filter media from my old tank and go through a short cycle by adding ammonium chloride solution. This takes a week and a half or so. I like to add some rocks, a ceramic cave, and fake plants. They make the fish feel more comfortable and they're easy to sterilize. They also provide extra surface area for BB to grow. Since the tank has a relatively low-volume HOB filter, I like to use an airstone to help speed up the cycling process.

Back
Top Bottom