Starting My 55 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
At last! I now have a project starter, and something to dream about - a 55 gallon tank! Once I get all the accessories for it (Heater, lights, decorations, etc.) I need to be ready to start the cycling process! I have seeded media, decor, and gravel, but I don't know if that will be enough. If it is not, (Like I suspect) I need to know where to buy PURE ammonia. Is there a product on Amazon.com, or somewhere else? Thank you all!:thanks:

Have you checked to see if theres an Ace hardware or Do It Best hardware store in your area (check store locator)? This is where I would start. You can also check to see if you have any Dollar Tree stores (i believe they carry the blue ribbon stuff) as well. Worse comes to worse, Amazon does sell the Ace Hardware Janitiorial Strength 10% ammonia but the shipping may be a bit outrageous fo a bottle of amm that only costs a couple of bucks in the store.

There is really no reason to fishless cycle a tank that you start with with old filter media. Just add the media, and start with a small fish load at the same time. Monitor water quality and change water as needed. You'll typically cycle within a few days, and in many cases, you won't see ammonia or nitrite at all. You don't have to convert 4 ppm in a day to consider a tank cycled- that's much more ammonia than a small fish load will produce, and really an arbitrary value. Once you're confident that your tank is processing the ammonia produced by your small fish load, stock slowly from there. I've started close to 100 tanks this way and it is by far one of the easiest methods IMO.

There is really no reason to fishless cycle a tank that you start with with old filter media. Just add the media, and start with a small fish load at the same time. Monitor water quality and change water as needed. You'll typically cycle within a few days, and in many cases, you won't see ammonia or nitrite at all. You don't have to convert 4 ppm in a day to consider a tank cycled- that's much more ammonia than a small fish load will produce, and really an arbitrary value. Once you're confident that your tank is processing the ammonia produced by your small fish load, stock slowly from there. I've started close to 100 tanks this way and it is by far one of the easiest methods IMO.
Thank you for your advice! Just to let you know, the seeded filter is for a 10 gallon tank, so it's temporary and tiny, and I don't know if that will affect cycling or not...

Are you upgrading your 10 gallon to the 55 gallon, or adding a second tank? If this is an upgrade, I'd move the fish and the filter over and run the old filter along with your new one for a couple weeks.

Only the Neon Tetras will be moved from the 10 gallon to the 55 gallon. The other two, baby red wag platies, will be relocated to my cousin's fish tank.

Ok! I guess it will be your call on how you would like to do this. You can either fishless cycle & then fully stock or you can move the 10g media/filter to the 55g with the neons & take your time to stock slowly & gradually. Good luck with the new tank & dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

ahh why doesn't it work??

Back
Top Bottom