Starting New 33 Gal Tank <NEWB>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

searooster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK. I've been waiting to setup my tank for about 9 months now. I was planning on moving so i didn't want to set it up then move it. Now the time has come. I'm totally new to the hobby. Zero Experience. I have a 33 gallon tank with a hood and light. I built a nice custom stand. I have a filter and a thermomoter.

Heres some of my starting questions.

1. Do freshwater tanks need any special hardware like SW tanks need? I.E. sumps, protien skimmers, refugiums?

2. I would like to get some blue crayfish. 1 mabey 2. (sorry i don't know if thats lame or not) ;) Anyway can i have live plants or will they eat theses?

3. If i can have live plants which ones will the crayfish not eat? And will i need a special type of sand for live plants.

4. Do freshwater fish need Lunar lights for at night time? If i get one anyway will this effect the fish adversly? because i think they make the tank look cool at night.

Thanks for all the Help

first off welcome to AA!!!
1.no they do not but you could get them if you wish but for a 33 you probaly wont.
2.i dont really know the answer to this since i dont own any.
3.for the substrate it depends on the type of plants but usually eco-complete is good.
4.no they do not need lunar lights.it might effect the fish colour because of to much light but you may be able to.also you will need to cycle the tank here is a link about that it says for sw but its the same for fw link:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15. hopefully someone else will chime in to to help out with things i didnt answer or things i was wrong on.
ryan

1. You dont need any of that stuff. Filter, Hetaer and lights.

2. You can get crayfish, but they do not mix well with fish. I beleive they will tear up live plants.

3. If you have a low light tank any kind of substrate you like will do just fine.

4. If you want lunar lights get them. The fish wont care and I agree they do look cool.

as far as the crayfish go. They will need to be in a "species only" tank. They most likely will eat anything else you put in there. Also being new to the hobby, I've heard these are a little tougher to keep succesfully. Your best bet is to research alot of fish while your tank is cycling. I found it is best to do things slow and get it right the first time, cheaper too. There are some great websites out there for fish profiles and lots with pictures. Any you are unsure of come here and post about them. I was lost untill I found this site.
Welcome to AA and have fun with it.

Oh and what type of test kit do you have if any?
Most recomend the aquarium pharm. master test kit. I tried the strips and found them to be WAY OFF!!!

:multi: :multi: :multi: Welcome to AA, searooster! :multi: :multi: :multi:

I have kept blue crayfish and will say they belong in a species only tank--no fish, no friends. They attack at night and even the fastest fish sleeps. Some have tried large fish and found the crayfish becomes a snack. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between and usually the result of much trial and error.
This is what I know from experience:
~Blue crayfish are not tropical and should be kept at around 68-70F, which most fish would not care for.
~Mine did eat the live plants.
~He was a little escape artist, which is why he is no longer with us :(
Mazdaman said:
They most likely will eat anything else you put in there.
That includes each other. I was trying to raise some, but even with a fairly large tank for their size, rocks to hide under and lots of food they attached and ate each other. After realizing what was happening, I tried raising them in individual containers--what a PITA.

Thanks for the info.
My stuff is in storage right now. Just finishing up the trim on the new place. As soon as i bring it out i'll post some pics.
I think i might steer clear of the crayfish if they'd be the only ones i could keep in the tank. Our local vet has a large ( mabey 90 gal tank.) thats a community tank with a blue crayfish wandering around the bottom. Didn't seem to be bothering anyone but who knows when its night time. Looks like he liked a lot of deep gravel to dig around in.

Back
Top Bottom