Starting New Community with Plants: Where to shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyatlas7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im new to the hobby, yet, quickly learning that research is the key to developing a successful community... I recently purchased a 55 gallon tank with sand substrate and currently looking to discover the following:

-a good combination of active freshwater fish/plants, and
-a trusted online site to purchase them

Also, if anyone has miscellaneous tips in reference to a freshwater aquarium Fish w/ Plants, please feel free. As I stated before, my tank is currently empty, and I'm looking to start on the right foot. Thanks in advance!!(y)

btw, I am aware of the cycling phase, so please disregard unless any particular plants require a specific cycle.

What light do you have on the tank? Are you aiming for low-maintenance (low-light, no fertilization or Co2) or high maintenance (high light, Co2, ferts)? Your lighting will pretty much dictate what plants you can have. There are good number of low-light plants that should do well with most stock lights that tanks come with: anubias, java fern, most mosses, Vallinseria, swords and crypts are a few. Some of those would benefit from root tabs in the sand (especially the crypts and swords) but they are pretty low maintenance otherwise.

@ librarygirl: T5 daylight bulbs. I'm not certain wheter low or high maintanence plants; I'll take a look at some of the ones you mentioned but I'm sure I'll find much more of a variety online oppose to the LFS, so thanks for the forum...

Back
Top Bottom