starting new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHEEZY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I'm just starting to set up an emergency tank and was wondering would it be beneficial to add a couple fake plants from my nearly cycled tank to help the cycling. I wasn't to sure because its not quite done cycling yet

the fake plants won't help a lot, I would take a small portion of the media from the filter, it will help speed up the cycle in your tank, but won't "instantly" cycle it like a piece from a fully cycled tank would.
The beneficial bacteria do live on all the surfaces in a tank, but the greatest concentration of them is in your filter media.

Alright thank you very much will do. My first tank I set up without doing to much reading I was upset when I found out I should of done a fishless cycle. Now I'm excited to try a fishless cycle with this one.

it's ok to do a fish-in cycle, there are benefits to both. I personally did a fish in cycle with my 55 gallon last fall, and the serpaes I used to cycle it are happy and healthy, all 15 of them :)
There are some great articles with pros/cons of both methods here:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Edit:
Oh yeah, and welcome aboard! This is a GREAT resource, and you'll find people are very supportive and informative!

Back
Top Bottom