Starting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need to decide if you want small community fish. Decide What your favorite fish is, so you can build a stocking plan around them.

Ex: if you know you are going to want Neons, don't buy anything that might harass them.

I often started with Cherry Barbs 2m1f. Or Harlequin Rasbora.

Are you going to want plants ? Just throwing fish in haphazardly can end badly.

Avoid Plecos and Chinese Algae Eaters. Both get large and Plecos have big bioloads and CAE get mean.

Decide what size tank. 10g are nice but limit choices. I love my small tanks, but a 20g or 30g give you a lot more choices.

I'm extremely impatient and always like to add fish early, but I do so doing the 'Silent Cycle' method. I've done my last 4 tanks this way and haven't lost a fish, and with one of them I pretty much fully stocked it in the first week and never saw ammonia spike - it just took lots and lots of anacharis, watersprite and hornwort! So if you're willing to take the leap for plants, this is the way to go.

I wasn't planning on doing plants right away though

Try it, you might like it. Java Ferns tied to wood are easy and look great.

A 10g ?

I like Nano species, but they are more expensive and more sensitive. Ember Tetras or Chili Rasboras would be nice. I love my Celestial Pearl Danios. My tiny Trout :)

You could do a Shrimp tank. RCS are awesome.

Glowlight Tetras are often overlooked. Mine have a black background and black sand.

Back
Top Bottom