Starting Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarheel0208

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a year ago, I established a new 29 gallon tank. It is quite beautiful now that the plants have matured. I have only guppies and platies and a few cories and algae eaters. Unfortunately I have to move this tank. It's a long and complicated story. The reason why is not as important as how do I do it. Most important, I want to minimize the trauma to the fish. Second, I want to avoid damaging the tank. My plan is to move the fish to the largest container I can find that is untainted by soap, chemicals, etc. Perhaps I should use some of the water from the tank I am disassembling in this temporary holding container. Then I will draw off the rest of the water from the tank; remove the plants and gravel; move the tank to its new location; and reassemble gravel, plants and water. Then comes the main problem, as I see it. How can I return the fish to a tank with fresh water that has not cycled yet? On the other hand, I cannot keep them in a temporary container for a long time. Will returning the original gravel and filter and some of the original water hasten the process? I vaguely remember reading about something that can be added to a tank in lieu of true cycling. Does that really work? I am not so cheap or poor that I would not consider buying a second tank. I could later use it as an isolation tank or hospital tank. But whether I use a new second tank or another container, I am still left with the cycling problem. Do any of you have any suggestions or an idea different from the one I have outlined above? Any advice will be appreciated.

As long as you keep the gravel and filter wet with the tank water and return as much of your old water back in, you should have no cycle. Rubbermaid tubs with lids work well for this. If your move is not far and the weather not cold it should be easy. You put the gravel, filter and accesories with water in one tub and put the fish in another. For a long or cold trip, you can get an inverter for your car that converts the 12 volts to 110. Hook a heater and airpump to this for the tub with fish. :D

That's correct. The water isn't cycled, it's the filter and other objects in the tank which the nitrifying bacteria take hold of.

Thanks for your helpful comments. I feel quite reassured now. Actually, the move will not be cross-country or even cross-town, just across the room. That as the result of poor planning and failure to look ahead when I first established the tank. I am going to dismantle and reestablish it though. I'm afraid the tank would be damaged -- or I would be damaged -- trying to lift a full or partly filled tank across the room. Thanks again. --Tarheel (John)

[center:b40a912597] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, tarheel0208!! :n00b: [/center:b40a912597]
I am going to dismantle and reestablish it though. I'm afraid the tank would be damaged -- or I would be damaged -- trying to lift a full or partly filled tank across the room.
That is the best plan. As long as the filter/media bed stays moist, the bacteria will be there to instantly cycle the new water that you will add.

Back
Top Bottom