Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2003, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ADCISCO Send a message via Yahoo to ADCISCO
Starting over.....again!

Well since I lost all of the fish that were in my q tank I just started all over again. I dumped the water,washed the gravel, got a new filter and I got one of those other kind of filters that have suction cups that you attach to the inside of your tank with the sponge inside being my filter doesnt have a sponge to collect the goodies I need for my tank. It took me two days and I dont know how many hours to chase down my danios to put them back in the qtank for cycling!!!! MAN!!!! Those are the fastest little boogers.....and this morning after having these danio now for 4 months just noticed this morning that they have little wiskers!!!! And I watch these fish all the time and get right upon the glass an look at them and have never seen them before but I think the difference was this morning I flipped on the tank light before I turned on any other lights in the house and they were asleep.....maybe what they use for sensory in the dark??? I think that things will go better now that I have this other little filter with the sponge. Me and my fish and all my animals!LOL
I havent gotten up the nerve yet to change the gravel in my 29 gallon tank since it is doing so well now. I am afraid to touch it!

Old 10-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #2

Quote:
I havent gotten up the nerve yet to change the gravel in my 29 gallon tank since it is doing so well now. I am afraid to touch it!
If it aint broke, don't fix it! Seriously, even if it's not the ideal gravel, if things are doing well, leave it be. Succes can be achieved many ways in this hobby.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True corvus gravel changes are a pain. What substarte are you wanting to change from and to.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My husband and daugher bought the painted gravel....I wouldnt have...because the paint comes off of it. My friend had a 55 gallon tank with just a neutral gravel that she took out of her tank to add......colored.....I was going to wash it and use it. It is just natural. I just hate that blue, purple and black and when you clean the tank you get mostly paint off the rocks!!! You know that cant be good for my babies! :P
Old 10-21-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah natural does look better. you can do a small amount at a timelike 25% each week. that should slowly let the bacteria colonize.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That was what I was thinking of doing....just a little at a time.....I am just scared to death to mess with it....I lost so many fish before getting my tank established plus the fact that the gravel was in someone elses tank makes me kind of squemish but she hadnt had any sick fish in some time.....she has had the same fish for 2 years ( 7 large fish)and I have had the gravel for about a month in a 5 gallon bucket and not really sure what to do to it before I attempt to put it in the tank.Just kind of makes me sick to think about loosing my babies after all this time!
Old 10-21-2003, 08:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was contemplating a change in my tank, from an epoxy coated dolomite to a larger pebble or at least something rounder...but I decided to hold off, since things in my tank are running quite smoothly, which isn't always the case (esp since i have a small, and overstocked, tank).

If your fish are healthy, and the tank is running well...why mess with a good thing? I'd hold off on the gravel change until you have a couple weeks of healthy fish, but thats just me. Also, with the painted gravel, if you wash it really really well, the paint should (emphasis on should!) stay put. I used some in a betta tank years ago and was stunned at how much paint washed off, and how long it took to clean...but it was worth the effort, once it was in the tank, i didn't have any problems.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I just changed my tank from green painted gravel and white and green plastic plants to natural gravel and live plants.
WOW what a difference!!
It looks SOOOOOOO much better.

I replaced half of the gravel and waited about a month and replaced the other half and things are great.
No problems at all.

Just my 2 cents.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com