Starting to cycle a 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Ok just to clarify you are doing a fish in or a fishless cycle?
You need to get a liquid test kit. API master test kit for freshwater is the one to get IMO. If you have seeded media you need to 'feed' the BB or they will die. Pure ammonia for fishless or fish for fish in.

I was planning on doing a fishless cycle ! Still have to pick a few thing up from the local pet store !

Ok ! Had my new tank up and running since Wednesday 11/23 , have not added seeded material or 100% ammonia to the tank and have not done any water changes. I tested the water today for the first time with the API freshwater master test kit my results . . .
PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 7.5 ppm
What do these results mean ? Is my tank established ?
What else should I do ?
Thanks in advance !

Mikey214 said:
Ok ! Had my new tank up and running since Wednesday 11/23 , have not added seeded material or 100% ammonia to the tank and have not done any water changes. I tested the water today for the first time with the API freshwater master test kit my results . . .
PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 7.5 ppm
What do these results mean ? Is my tank established ?
What else should I do ?
Thanks in advance !

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? If you haven't added ammonia to start your cycle you are not cycled/established.

Mumma.of.two said:
Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? If you haven't added ammonia to start your cycle you are not cycled/established.

I have not ! What happens if there are no nitrates in the tap water ?

Mikey214 said:
Any ideas ?!?!

Are you doing the test correctly? Are you shaking the #2 bottle long enough and the test tube for a full minute? Double check your results again in the tank. Get a glass of water, let it sit out over night then do all your test and you will know your tap water levels.

Mumma.of.two said:
Are you doing the test correctly? Are you shaking the #2 bottle long enough and the test tube for a full minute? Double check your results again in the tank. Get a glass of water, let it sit out over night then do all your test and you will know your tap water levels.

I did all the test correctly , so should I test the water from the tank again in the morning , and then let a cup of tap water sit out over night and test that ? And compare the two results . . . Tank and tap ?

Mikey214 said:
I did all the test correctly , so should I test the water from the tank again in the morning , and then let a cup of tap water sit out over night and test that ? And compare the two results . . . Tank and tap ?

No need to compare. You just need to double check your results and check if your tap water has nitrates. Then we will have more of an idea why there are nitrates in an uncycled tank with no fish or seeded media.

Mumma.of.two said:
No need to compare. You just need to double check your results and check if your tap water has nitrates. Then we will have more of an idea why there are nitrates in an uncycled tank with no fish or seeded media.

Yeah ! I'll do the test and get you the results ! I just read the fish less cycle guide and was thinking the same thing . . . Why are there nitrates in an unicycled tank ?!?! What could it be from ?

Back
Top Bottom