Starting to not like the look of the bubbles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
woops didnt mean to start a heated discussion when i started this thread. its just starting to look a little tacky to me but of course my 3 year old loves the look of bubbles. So since we have opposing views (yes my toddler gets a say in all decisions), I wanted to know benefits vs. looks. Just so you all know, we are leaning towards keeping it because my son insist on it, but I might just get a smaller bar or something. Thanks again for all input!

:popcorn:

I can honestly say that I've never seen a heated discussion involving oxygen before. LOL

hehe, it's no big deal. Just a difference of opinion. :)
I don't want to get involved, but I have a bubble wand, an air stone, and a powerhead. I use the powerhead as a mid-tank aerator. While yes, they do look tacky to some, I find that they are extremely beneficial, especially when using meds.

Recently I had to use Melafix and within a minute after the first application, all of my Mollies and my Dwarf Gourami were at the surface gasping for air. At that time, I only had my bubble wand and air stone going, but I acted fast and turned the powerhead on at full blast. Within another minute or so, they were fine. Just sayin'... :D

I'd have to argue though what made the difference. Again, without a scientific study done on this there's no way to tell. I know when I got off a plane in Mexico I was gasping at the surface, I even fell ill, but got used to it. It could have been the sudden change more than the actual oxygen difference, for example. It's also possible that the powerhead merely helped spread out the dissolved oxygen already created by the bubbles. ;)

Obviously it's a total unknown, probably always will be. But the same way everybody seems to swear by Prime, I swear by Nov-Aqua, the same way some people swear by powerheads I swear by bubble columns. I try really hard not to give any advice that I haven't done or seen first-hand. If I hadn't used both I wouldn't even be arguing, I honestly just felt things worked better for me with one than the other. :) It's good for anybody who google searches and finds this thread (or any thread on here) to get mixed opinions so they have fuller info.

:popcorn:

I can honestly say that I've never seen a heated discussion involving oxygen before. LOL

I don't want to get involved, but I have a bubble wand, an air stone, and a powerhead. I use the powerhead as a mid-tank aerator. While yes, they do look tacky to some, I find that they are extremely beneficial, especially when using meds.

Recently I had to use Melafix and within a minute after the first application, all of my Mollies and my Dwarf Gourami were at the surface gasping for air. At that time, I only had my bubble wand and air stone going, but I acted fast and turned the powerhead on at full blast. Within another minute or so, they were fine. Just sayin'... :D

We humans can argue the color of the sky with a passion. And it's silly.. and I'm just as guilty as any one.

Regardless of whether the powerhead spread out the dissolved oxygen, (like you stated, Tim), or if it introduced virgin oxygen into the water, it helped dramatically. I have no doubt in my mind that I would have had a few casualties had it not been for the powerhead.

That is my only point. ;) I could care less about oxygen percentages and scientific research into the matter. If it baffles some of you, maybe someone should contact "Myth Busters" in lieu of arguing about it on a fish forum. lol

woops didnt mean to start a heated discussion when i started this thread. its just starting to look a little tacky to me but of course my 3 year old loves the look of bubbles. So since we have opposing views (yes my toddler gets a say in all decisions), I wanted to know benefits vs. looks. Just so you all know, we are leaning towards keeping it because my son insist on it, but I might just get a smaller bar or something. Thanks again for all input!
To Bubble, or not to bubble? KEEP THE 3 yr old HAPPY. That's harder and more important than this bubble issue anyway.

We humans can argue the color of the sky with a passion. And it's silly.. and I'm just as guilty as any one.

I'm guilty of a too. lol

I will admit I do like the purple text. ;)

I HATE IT! :p

Well, you can argue all you want, but the sky is 'sky blue'... now try and prove me wrong :rolleyes: haha just kiddin... or am I?

A person suffering from blue color blindness would argue w/ you until they were blue, (or grey), in the face. ;)

I have the output of my fluval agitating the surface of the water. I hated the bubbles and the dumb air pump.

Sent from my EVO 4g using Aquarium

I will admit I do like the purple text. ;)
Thank you, I am an obsessively purple person. Even my contact lenses are purple.
My hair was also purple for about 7 years. But I seriously injured my back in 2002 and have had 5 surgeries since then. The purple was to much work to keep. It had to be redone ever 2-3 weeks. Now I have very Platinum Blond spiky hair, much easier to maintain.

I'm guilty of a too. lol

I HATE IT! :p

A person suffering from blue color blindness would argue w/ you until they were blue, (or grey), in the face. ;)
Does this mean we are going to argue about color now. I'm sorry I mentioned the sky. It can be what ever color you guys what it to be.
Right now the sky here is white, as we are having the worst snow storm on record in 20 years.
Just sayin not always blue:lol:.
Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom