Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #51
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sooo, do you think it worked?

I don't know why ph has increased when it did either. Unless you added something?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now that the thread is off on a tangent ...

I often wish there was a small sick fish kit we could get that had 3-4 of the most likely treatments and a little booklet for guidance. Like this "homeopathy for kids" kit I got for $30 ... Homeopathy is highly complex because you have to consider a spectrum of symptoms but if people can do it for kids who can't talk they can do it for fish.

I did let Petsmart know they've got an area store that needs attention and yep having been in retail management I talked dollars ... Lol.

We have two independently owned LFSes ... One is near and the assistant mgr is a gem, and they rescue Oscars and keep bettas in big community tanks and lots of good things ... But the store is dirty and the displays are sad and I didn't like the look of their back room when I saw it once. Even their bathroom was disgusting (the things you get to see when you've got a four year old who urgently needs to "go") ... Come to think of it I've only ever seen one dead fish there but I consider it the yucky store and rarely get livestock there (I go to a nearby favorite Petsmart instead).

The other is far, huge, busy ... It's hard to catch an employee, though they're great when you do. They aren't such activists for fish well being. They're so huge they always have something dead that someone hasn't pulled yet. But the store is clean.

It's hard to know which qualities make a good store ... Another one of those gut things, I suspect.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Sooo, do you think it worked?

I don't know why ph has increased when it did either. Unless you added something?
I think it did work! I would expect the cycling to at least take another week, because last week there was still ammonia. And the pH usually takes a while to go down, even after the cycling is seemingly complete. But I tested, the pH is where it should be, not high, and the parameters are perfect. It looks to me it was thanks to Tetra SafeStart!

Although, there will always still be doubt, as I had already started cycling naturally, before I used it. Sooooo there is the possibility it didn't actually do anything. XD But my personal answer is yes, it sped up the cycle.

Aneamals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennamw View Post
Now that the thread is off on a tangent ...

I often wish there was a small sick fish kit we could get that had 3-4 of the most likely treatments and a little booklet for guidance. Like this "homeopathy for kids" kit I got for $30 ... Homeopathy is highly complex because you have to consider a spectrum of symptoms but if people can do it for kids who can't talk they can do it for fish.

I did let Petsmart know they've got an area store that needs attention and yep having been in retail management I talked dollars ... Lol.

We have two independently owned LFSes ... One is near and the assistant mgr is a gem, and they rescue Oscars and keep bettas in big community tanks and lots of good things ... But the store is dirty and the displays are sad and I didn't like the look of their back room when I saw it once. Even their bathroom was disgusting (the things you get to see when you've got a four year old who urgently needs to "go") ... Come to think of it I've only ever seen one dead fish there but I consider it the yucky store and rarely get livestock there (I go to a nearby favorite Petsmart instead).

The other is far, huge, busy ... It's hard to catch an employee, though they're great when you do. They aren't such activists for fish well being. They're so huge they always have something dead that someone hasn't pulled yet. But the store is clean.

It's hard to know which qualities make a good store ... Another one of those gut things, I suspect.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
Haha the thread totally did.

I agree, that would be a great idea! I would like it even more if they were medicated foods, as it won't kill the beneficial bacteria.

I also have a lfs that is dirty, and there are always dying or dead fish somewhere. But it's quite large and has an amazing variety of freshwater fish you can't find anywhere else in the region, possibly the whole island. I really want 2 types of platys that they're currently selling there.
But I do have a favorite Petsmart, with fish in the best quality I've ever seen, and one employee who really knows fish! But they only sell 2-3 types of platies, and I only want 1 of them. But I do plan on buying other fish from them.

Aneamals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, ammonia, api, aquarium, bacteria, beneficial, bio, biological, bottle, bottled, correct, cycle, cycled, cycling, employee, filter, fish, good, lfs, local, marineland, nitrate, nitrates, nitrifying, nitrite, nitrites, opinion, owner, quick, quickstart, real, recommend, recommendation, recommended, recommending, safe, safestart, seachem, stability, start, store, tetra, true

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com