Sterilizing Tank and Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICDeadFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have to sterilize my tank, gravel and decor. How should I go about this? Boil? Bleach?

You can use a solution of 1 part bleach to 19 parts of water to wash your tank. After that you have to rinse with (hot) water allot! Just to make sure you don't have anymore bleach in there. Decor the same thing, and gravel.........well, i would boil, but i'm thinking letting it sit in a bucket with very hot water for 15-20 minutes should kill most of the bacteria/parasites that are present.

What happened that you need to sterilize everything?

HTH

Well, when I started my tank about a week ago, the fish I got had a bad disease (still don't know what it was) and I was told it's now in my water because it killed ALL of my fish and since i'm at the very beginning of cycling it would be easier and cheaper just to sterilize everything and start over.

When I first setup one of my tanks within a week all my fish died also. It turned out not to be a disease at all, but extremely low pH. How does your water test?

Back
Top Bottom