Sterilizing Wild Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I found some bamboo at a creek behind my house. This creek has NASTY water with NASTY thinks living in it. How do I clean and sterilize the bamboo? Only the roots are going in my tank obviously but I DO NOT want to deal with the mess from the creek water. Not to mention the dirt on the roots.
Thanks and God bless!

Potassium permanganate is good, but most people don't have it on hand. As far as wild plants go, I just rinse them really well, soak them in the sink for a few minutes and make sure everything is rinsed off, and then add them. I don't like doing salt or h2o2 treatments onto sensitive plants or roots, it seems to do more harm than good.

You may be able to find a product called 'Clear Water' made by Jungle in some lfs. Its a potassium permagnate solution. You can also consider a dilute bleach solution (1-19 ratio). Just an suggestion, consider qt'ing the plants for 2-3wks as well. My biggest fear is now leeches & their eggs which will survive a bleach, potass permg, or ammonia dip. :)

Last edited:
Well I will do that. I will use bleach then qt for a week or 2.

Back
Top Bottom