Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Stick-On Thermometer

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering how accurate a stick-on thermometer is. Probably not as accurate as the ones right in the tank, but I'm considering one. One of my bettas sees himself in the thermometer, and he is always over there, looking at himself, moving his eyes up and down, "kissing" the thermometer, and getting himself all worked up. He's on top of it right now, looking down on it! He'll flare at himself, them he'll fly all around the tank, stop, flare again, etc.....then he catches the attention of his "brother" in the other tank, and gets him flaring too. It's been about 2 weeks, and he hasn't stopped yet! So, would a stick-on thermometer stop the antics of this crazy betta, and be somewhat accurate too?? Petsmart has a Tetra brand one for 99 cents. It's small, though -- not a lot of surface area. Would a bigger one be better?

Old 01-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #2

It's true they are not as accurate, but I have used them before, even the tiny ones from tetra. Not much to lose for a buck. After you get one, just compare the reading on the stick-on to the reading on your current thermometer. That way you should be able to get a good idea if it reads high or low, and by how much. I would think this would let your silly betta stop fighting himself!
Old 01-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Sati Send a message via AIM to Sati Send a message via MSN to Sati Send a message via Yahoo to Sati
lol, I'm sorry but that is a crack up! I have a sticker thermometer that came on my 38g tank. Maybe I'm just a dope but I don't really understand how to read it. It will light up 3 of the numbers at the same time so I don't know which temp it's actually at. I use a glass one in addition that sinks to the bottom and I dig it into the gravel so that it stays in place.

This one looks very cool if you want to go all out. It has an alarm and everything and your beta wouldn't see himself in it

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The green one is usually the temperature, the brownish one is one above the temperature and blue is one below the temperature. Its not as accurate but much more easier to read
Old 01-02-2004, 06:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Sati Send a message via AIM to Sati Send a message via MSN to Sati Send a message via Yahoo to Sati
I don't think the color changes though... I think one of the colored numbers is supposed to light up. And on mine I can't tell which number is the brightest to know which temp my tank is at. I think a regular thermometer is easier, heh.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

There should be 3 temperature that lights up.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well then for me, the sticker which is closer to the heater says 76 degrees, and the glass thermometer which is the farthest from the heater says 79...

Old 01-02-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMHO stickons by Hagen or Tetra are just fine for everyday users.

i have both stickon and mercury intank thermometers and the temp readings are just about the same -/+ one degree.

Not to say all are the same, but it gives an idea.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just be sure to place it far enough away from the edge of the tank. A mistake many make is that they put it where the corner of the other sheet of glass butts up to the one they are placing the thermometer on. It gives it real inaccurate readings. Another mistake is they place it on the glass half where the gravel inside the tank covers part of the back of the thermometer. It messes up readings there to.
1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have mine an inch away from the edge of the tank and since its a tall one about half a inch of the LCD stickon thermometer is covering gravel.

It dosn't muck up the reading, in my tank atleast. YMMV.

Tags
ick, thermometer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com