still problems with 10 gal on well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPN2639

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi fish lovers and fish experts!

i took some tank water to petsmart and everything was high. they used the dipsticks where as i have been using the dropps. guess it dont matter. ph was high, so was ammo and nitrite.

the person recommended ammo chips and the tank buddy fizzing tabs to buffer the ph. i have put in the little fizz tab and 1/4 cup of the ammo chips in my filter bag.

now my water is a little cloudy. not crystal clear.

one zebra is swimming around looking for food (have not fed in a couple days) and my algee eater appears to be ok also.

so now what? they told me at petsmart and in another chat area not to do water changes anymore and let the bio filter make itself.

well, it depends, if you are really worried about those two fish, then you should do a change every other day, but I would let the tank cycle. Best of luck

First of all, get the Petsmart guy fired.

Second, your tank is in the cycling process, and I believe the worst possible thing you can do at this time is add chemicals. The process is a natural one, and all you do is throw it off a normal course.

Third, you need to continue to feed your fish so they produce waste, a vital part of the cycle. Do not overfeed, but whatever they can eat in about 2 minutes.

Fourth, water changes about every four to five days, 10-20% is a good thing. I don't vacuum the gravel during cycling.

Fifth, the key to all of this is patience. Do not try to speed up the cycle, you'll just fall off. :lol:

Bearfan said:
Fifth, the key to all of this is patience. Do not try to speed up the cycle, you'll just fall off. :lol:

Absolutely, this isn't something that will happen overnight...or even in a week. When you said the pH was high, what was the exact reading? What were the ammonia and nitrite levels (numbers please)? Also, have you tested your tap water for pH and nitrate?
Logan J

Logan J

Hi
When I test for ammonia levels I will make sure and write the numbers down. I have just been going by the colors on the card. Then I panic.

I may move the tank also. I never remember having this problems many years ago.

:?

LPN

Don't panic...that won't help. Moving the tank won't affect the ammonia/nitrite levels either. Of course, moving it won't hurt anything either. This is a fairly simple process that will, given time, finish. As Hara said in another post, you should do some research on the fish you want to keep and see if they are compatible with the tank/water you have. IME, the best way to have a successful tank is to keep the fish load low. That means you don't want more than about 5-6 small fish in the 10g. It will be a lot easier on you and the fish if you choose species that can live in your water without adding chemicals to it. Above all, be patient.
Logan J

LPN,

please remember this:

When you go to a LFS(especially the major chains) you are more than likely taking advice from a person who has little experience, making minimun wage, and trying to SELL you things to keep you coming back for more stuff. Now there are good stores out there but they are far and few between.

Just keep doing research on the web and ask questions. That is the easiest way to learn.

You have a lot of good advice going on in this thread which answers those questions. and I also agree as to the course of action the above posters suggest.

Keep the faith!

You all have given me great advice so far and I am absorbing it all in. I will look for a book today. I am still trying to decide on the type of fish I want. Are there any cichlids that don't grow so big. I would like maybe 2 or 3 of those. They are pretty to me. All I have now is the one little zebra and my algee eater.

I dont understand why my water is cloudy now. I looked at my calendar and I set the tank up on 4/14 on a Monday. So it was only 3 weeks yesterday.

Will keep reading posts, get a book, and decide what kind of fish I wanna keep.

Many thanks. :p :roll:

Back
Top Bottom