stillborn Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracygh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a stubborn sunrise Platy that seems to have been pregnant forever. We had to go away overnight, so I put her in the breeding box, because I didn't want her nrood becoming a buffet should she deliver in our absence. I just checked on her, she seems to be in "delivery behaviour" (based on watching other fish deliver) but nothing is happening. I did find one stillborn fry in the box though....I have never seen a stillborn before, although I suppose it is bound to happen.
Are fish capable of "holding them in" to the point of destroying the fry or doing damage? And what do I do with the poor little stillborn?

when i put my guppies into the breeder box they struggle so much, and it takes them even longer to have babies. i just wait till they have babies and net as many as i can out

I don't know for sure if they are able to hold the fry in up to the point that it is damaging to the fry, but I wouldn't think so.
You should remove the stillborn, before fungus starts growing on it. (If you want, you can feed it to any bigger fish you have....sorry if this sounds cruel, but it does make a pretty good food)

Thank you for your replies.
This morning there were 13 fry in the breeding box, all but 2 were stillborn. 2 were struggling to live, but I know they won't make it. When I looked closely, I realized not of them were formed properly yet. You could see into their bellies, and the two that were alive, you could see their hearts beating. I could have cried, it was just heartbreaking. I wish I knew what caused it.

Back
Top Bottom