Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Pezzep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada, Ontario
Posts: 334
Stock for a 8g

Can I put any fish in an 8g other than a betta/dwarf puffers?
__________________

__________________
Pezzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
AC-X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzep View Post
Can I put any fish in an 8g other than a betta/dwarf puffers?
There are plenty of fish like guppies, platties, mollys, corydoras, etc. Possibly a dwarf gourami, that might be a bit much though. A good rule is one inch of full grown fish per gallon of water.
__________________

__________________
||
|_________|
AC-X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post
There are plenty of fish like guppies, platties, mollys, corydoras, etc. Possibly a dwarf gourami, that might be a bit much though. A good rule is one inch of full grown fish per gallon of water.
I would not put mollies, platties, or even cories in an 8 gallon...
__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
AC-X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman24 View Post

I would not put mollies, platties, or even cories in an 8 gallon...
Why? I've had 2 platties at a time in a 5 gal and a Molly in a 5 gal. They all lived for a year or so.
__________________
||
|_________|
AC-X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Sidman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post
Why? I've had 2 platties at a time in a 5 gal and a Molly in a 5 gal. They all lived for a year or so.
They have huge bioloads. I wouldn't put them in anything less then a 20g... I hope someone else chimes in to help explain, but I know these fish are not suited for that small of a tank.
__________________
Sidman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post
Why? I've had 2 platties at a time in a 5 gal and a Molly in a 5 gal. They all lived for a year or so.
that's not good, mollies should live for years more than that. Mollies get fairly large and platies shouldn't be in a 5 gallon either. Very little {yet some} can go in a 5 gallon. IMO mollies need 30 gallons with lots of filtration. Platies need at least 20, some may argue smaller but that's just my opinion.
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
rpgmomma8404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post
Why? I've had 2 platties at a time in a 5 gal and a Molly in a 5 gal. They all lived for a year or so.
Because like what was already said they have a huge bio-load. Plus, they can get a decent size. Biggest platy I've ever had was around 4 maybe 5 inches (usually the females get that big). I've had platies get around the same size as my swordtails and those do get 5 inches for sure. So, they shouldn't be in anything under 20. I used to keep them in 10 gallons when I was a kid but I didn't know any better. We didn't have google or the information that is out there today about 19 years ago, lol.
__________________
10 gallon: Red male betta & mystery snail
15 gallon: Blue male betta & two mystery snails
29 gallon: Ten swordtails
rpgmomma8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
AC-X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 425
Ok, the platy and Molly in a 5 gal thing was before I knew what I was doing, I was just stating my experience.
__________________
||
|_________|
AC-X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Pezzep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada, Ontario
Posts: 334
What about a few celestial pearl danios or a pair of sparkling gouramis?
__________________
Pezzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post

Why? I've had 2 platties at a time in a 5 gal and a Molly in a 5 gal. They all lived for a year or so.
Hahaha a year? That isn't good. Fish are suppose to live a lot longer then a year :/ id say a 5 gallon is to small for anything other then some shrimp MAYBE and a few BABY guppies. Your a lot better off getting at least a 29 gallon. Your options are way more open. Personally when you have a fish in mind that you want... your going to get it. What i do is i fine and research the fish i want then buy the suitable tank. Not the tank first.. its a lot more work
__________________
mariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jehenry89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 318
I would say your best bet is make make it a betta, snail or cherry shrimp tank.
__________________
jehenry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
rpgmomma8404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzep View Post
What about a few celestial pearl danios or a pair of sparkling gouramis?
From my experience danios need something over 20 g (20 g long would probably be a good option). I didn't have luck with them in my 15 g and was told it was too small so I ended up taking them back. I'm not sure about sparkling gouramis I would have to look that one up.

To answer you about a drawf puffer, I think they have a huge bio-load and are messy eaters. Most people keep them in a 20 g or more although I've heard about one being kept in a 10 g (not sure if that is suggested though). They are also brackish fish.
__________________
10 gallon: Red male betta & mystery snail
15 gallon: Blue male betta & two mystery snails
29 gallon: Ten swordtails
rpgmomma8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Pezzep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada, Ontario
Posts: 334
I have dwarf puffers they aren't brackish, they are messy tho so over filtration is a must. For dwarfs you want 3-5g per fish due to bioload and territorial disputes. I have three in an 8g filter by an aquaclear 20. Three is a bit much for 8g but I wanted to give it a try, they have be doing fine so far tho I haven't had them for a very long time.

I seen on seriously fish that the sparkling gouramis can be in a minimum of about 3.5g but that seems pretty darn small for a fish that gets to be about 1.5 inches.
__________________
Pezzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Pezzep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada, Ontario
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehenry89 View Post
I would say your best bet is make make it a betta, snail or cherry shrimp tank.
Yeah I wanted to do betta but it's an open top tank and I just recently had a betta jump out and die on me. I don't want a lid.

I was thinking shrimp, maybe pumpkins since there is going to be quite a bit of yellow and red from the plants and/or Thai micro crabs, but I need to read up on them.

Would rather fish over inverts, but if no fish that catch my eye can work in this small tank I will go with inverts.
__________________
Pezzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
rpgmomma8404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzep View Post
I have dwarf puffers they aren't brackish, they are messy tho so over filtration is a must. For dwarfs you want 3-5g per fish due to bioload and territorial disputes. I have three in an 8g filter by an aquaclear 20. Three is a bit much for 8g but I wanted to give it a try, they have be doing fine so far tho I haven't had them for a very long time.

I seen on seriously fish that the sparkling gouramis can be in a minimum of about 3.5g but that seems pretty darn small for a fish that gets to be about 1.5 inches.
You sure they are not brackish because all the information I've been getting says they are.
__________________
10 gallon: Red male betta & mystery snail
15 gallon: Blue male betta & two mystery snails
29 gallon: Ten swordtails
rpgmomma8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Some are some aren't, depends on the species.
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
rpgmomma8404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Some are some aren't, depends on the species.
Got ya. Must be getting the wrong information then.
__________________
10 gallon: Red male betta & mystery snail
15 gallon: Blue male betta & two mystery snails
29 gallon: Ten swordtails
rpgmomma8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
rmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmomma8404 View Post

From my experience danios need something over 20 g (20 g long would probably be a good option). I didn't have luck with them in my 15 g and was told it was too small so I ended up taking them back. I'm not sure about sparkling gouramis I would have to look that one up.

To answer you about a drawf puffer, I think they have a huge bio-load and are messy eaters. Most people keep them in a 20 g or more although I've heard about one being kept in a 10 g (not sure if that is suggested though). They are also brackish fish.
Most danios wouldn't do well in a small tank, however Celestial pearl danios only grow to about a half inch, maybe full inch at most. They are a great little nano fish that would do wonderfully in an 8 gallon, but they can be pricey.

A dwarf puffer is a fun option, but most don't readily accept flakes. Some will take frozen foods, others will only take live food. Something to consider before rushing out for them.

Most nano fish that would be well suited for your tank are not as readily available at big box stores. Typically you have to order them online and they get expensive quickly. If you can get or make a lid you'd be much better off. Maybe try some mesh screen?
__________________
rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Jbrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzep View Post
Yeah I wanted to do betta but it's an open top tank and I just recently had a betta jump out and die on me. I don't want a lid. I was thinking shrimp, maybe pumpkins since there is going to be quite a bit of yellow and red from the plants and/or Thai micro crabs, but I need to read up on them. Would rather fish over inverts, but if no fish that catch my eye can work in this small tank I will go with inverts.
Shrimp jump out of tanks too.
__________________
Jbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jehenry89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzep View Post
Yeah I wanted to do betta but it's an open top tank and I just recently had a betta jump out and die on me. I don't want a lid.

I was thinking shrimp, maybe pumpkins since there is going to be quite a bit of yellow and red from the plants and/or Thai micro crabs, but I need to read up on them.

Would rather fish over inverts, but if no fish that catch my eye can work in this small tank I will go with inverts.
If you are feeling ambitious and have the funds/space, you could make this tank a shrimp or betta tank(even though you want open top). Then you can get a bigger tank which would be able to handle more types of fish. Even just if its just a 20 gallon.
__________________

__________________
jehenry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×