Stock plan...Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcuoz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got done with a fishless cycle and its time to add fish. I researched fish for a month and "think" this stock will work fine together. I just want to post it incase anyone has housed these fish together and have had problems. Here goes:

Tank 125 Gallon, 4'x2'x2' (Thanks Gboy, This is edited in)

Kribs- 2 or 3
Boesemani rainbow 2
Praecox rainbow 2
Bala Shark 4
Giant Danio 2
Clown Loach 4
Buffalohead Cichlid 1
Badis 2
Red Eye Tetra 2
Congo Tetra 2
Strawberry Tetra 3
Blueberry Tetra 3
Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster

I am also moving a Pleco that I have housed with my red eared slider. The Pleco is about 6" long.
Most of these fish are schooling fish so some may suggest I need more of each fish and less variety. I posted this a week or so back http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ce-about-schooling-fish-read-this-195757.html and Im trying their theory that a bigger tank causes more problems with bigger schools.

So, does anyone have any thoughts, comments, concerns with this stock. Your feedback is invited, good, bad or indifferent.
TIA

Funny how often people dont post the tank size;)

OMG:facepalm:

125g 4'x2'x2'

I actually had it there originally but I typed the whole thing and hit "submit" and it timed out nd I lost the entire darn thing. I rtyped it fast and left out a very important part. Tanks size,

Thanks Gboy

gregcuoz said:
OMG:facepalm:

125g 4'x2'x2'

Thanks Gboy

Lol.

Your stock would work out (although i am not sure about the buffalohead).

I really think you need those tetras to be at schools of 6 each, and the rainbows at 5. They would be alot happier.

Also, adult bala sharks are huge, and i dont think you could support a large school

I think stick with 2 kribs
and bump all of the tetra schools up to 6 or 8 and maybe add some more rainbows. Also i think the bala sharks will get too large for the tank and become to active for some of the occupents. Also the giant danio school should go up to 6
Im not sure on what badis are but the buffelohead cichlid seems a bit aggresive for the tank. I would swith it to maybe an angel fish or 2 angelfish.

Gboy and Jason.... Just curious, did you guys read the link I posted about schooling fish on the first post? Wanted to get your feedback. It basically states, the bigger the tank, the less likely the large schools get along.

I like the color of Cichlids alot so I researched them all and looked for the "peaceful" ones. Most of the dwarf cichlids were peaceful but needed very high PH. Buffalohead and Kribs were the only peaceful ones I found that didnt need very high PH. It said Buffaloheads were only aggressive when spawning or amongst themselves. Thats why I chose 1

Thoughts?

gregcuoz said:
Gboy and Jason.... Just curious, did you guys read the link I posted about schooling fish on the first post? Wanted to get your feedback. It basically states, the bigger the tank, the less likely the large schools get along.

I like the color of Cichlids alot so I researched them all and looked for the "peaceful" ones. Most of the dwarf cichlids were peaceful but needed very high PH. Buffalohead and Kribs were the only peaceful ones I found that didnt need very high PH. It said Buffaloheads were only aggressive when spawning or amongst themselves. Thats why I chose 1

Thoughts?

Caught me.. No i didnt read it. however. I disagree. I think that larger schools are better.. The fish will be alot more comfortable

Also, you may have read it wrong about dwarf chichlids. Rams and apistos dont like a high ph..they like a low one! They can survive in any ph though, as long as you bought good quality.

Also, most of what I read about Bala's is they will commonly grow to 8". They can grow to 1'6" but its extremely rare for them to go over 8" in a home aquarium.
Had my hopes on Bala. My son is in love with them. Is there something similar that will NOT grow so big? Looks like and acts like?

Caught me.. No i didnt read it. however. I disagree. I think that larger schools are better.. The fish will be alot more comfortable

Also, you may have read it wrong about dwarf chichlids. Rams and apistos dont like a high ph..they like a low one! They can survive in any ph though, as long as you bought good quality.

I definately could have either read wrong or been given bad info. Ok, lets say I forget the bala and sub in Rams and apistos, how many of each and will my other stock mix well with Rams and Apistos?

I got the link from an article I read from a store thats been in the business for 40 yrs. They said the bigger the school, the more conflicts (fights, fin nips, etc). It was on aquariumfish.net

Clowns & Balas will grow too big for your tank.

The growth rate of the Bala Shark is pretty quick if I remember correctly.

The Clowns you'll probably have a little while before you rehome them but you'll be needing a 6' tank at least if you want to keep them so keep that in mind if you chose to go with them.

Look at come cories or smaller loaches like Kuhli or Yo-Yo instead.

Clowns & Balas will grow too big for your tank.

The growth rate of the Bala Shark is pretty quick if I remember correctly.

The Clowns you'll probably have a little while before you rehome them but you'll be needing a 6' tank at least if you want to keep them so keep that in mind if you chose to go with them.

Ok, good to know. Im glad I posted this. Love clown loaches but I will not be getting a 6' tank any time in the near future. Can you recommend another loach or maybe a catfish that is fun to watch?

gregcuoz said:
Ok, good to know. Im glad I posted this. Love clown loaches but I will not be getting a 6' tank any time in the near future. Can you recommend another loach or maybe a catfish that is fun to watch?

Yoyo, zebra, kuhli loaches. Synoditis catfish, cory catfish, bumblebee cats are all fun!

Definitely up the tetra schools to at least 8-10 in my opinion. Even if you have to narrow the tetras down to 2-3 species you like most. Because in such a huge tank the tetras will be really shy with all those big fish unless in a big school. Also the bala shark will most likely be too big

The PH thing is just what they have in the wild. If acclimtized properly ther will adapt to the PH and be fine. Have you thought about Yo yo loaches or maybe even discus fish?

The PH thing is just what they have in the wild. If acclimtized properly ther will adapt to the PH and be fine. Have you thought about Yo yo loaches or maybe even discus fish?

Thought at great lengths about Discus, but they need such a high temp and I want variety, Im not sure many fish other then Discus can thrive at 85is degree temps.

Back
Top Bottom