Stock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay. I have decided that I will one day put my Congo Tetras and Rosy Barbs in a different tank or sell them. I will get smaller fish in my tank as well. Could this stock work or would it be too many fish?

8 Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras
6 Rummynose Tetras
5 Marbled Hatchetfish
4 Peppermint Tetras
2 German Blue Rams
2 Panda Garra
5 Cory Catfish
5 Ghost Glass Catfish

I don't know if this would be too many fish. If it is, could I replace one of these types of fish with a smaller fish? What would you suggest if I could do that? Help is appreciated!!

Okay. I have decided that I will one day put my Congo Tetras and Rosy Barbs in a different tank or sell them. I will get smaller fish in my tank as well. Could this stock work or would it be too many fish?

8 Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras
6 Rummynose Tetras
5 Marbled Hatchetfish
4 Peppermint Tetras
2 German Blue Rams
2 Panda Garra
5 Cory Catfish
5 Ghost Glass Catfish

I don't know if this would be too many fish. If it is, could I replace one of these types of fish with a smaller fish? What would you suggest if I could do that? Help is appreciated!!

For a 30 it does sound crowded to me. I would stick to 3 schools of either neons/cardinals, rummies, hatchets, peppermints or glass cats and increase there sizes to at least 6 each. 8 would be better. The cories, garras and rams sound fine.
Reason I suggest less types of fish and larger schools is because it decreases stress on the fish. A few larger school (rather than lots of little schools of fish) is an environment where the fish can feel safer and calmer. I know its tempting to put as many different kids of fish that can fit in a tank but it really is nicer for the fish and to look at if you just stick to a few. :)

I will definitely try Rummynose Tetras and Cardinal Tetras. I am trying decide between Marbled Hatchets, Ghost Glass Catfish, and Platy fish.

Does the tank have a tight fitting lid? If not then its probably best to steer away from hatchets. They are jumpers. Is the tank going to be planted? If not then glass cats could get stressed. They need lots of plant cover.

The lid fits tight, but I have to take it off occasionally to clean my filter pipes. My tank is heavily planted. So I guess it's down to Ghost Glass Catfish and Platy fish.

Okay I have decided upon my future fish stock. Hopefully I can sell my Rosy Barbs and Congo Tetras. After I do that I will have 4 Peppermint Tetras, 5 Cory Catfish, and 2 Panda Garra. This will be my full stock.

8 Cardinal Tetras
7 Rummynose Tetras
6-7 Peppermint Tetras
2 Ram Cichlids
6 Marbled Hatchets
8 Cory Catfish
2 Panda Garra
Maybe a Hillstream Loach if I have room

Still sounds crowded to me. I would cut out one of the tetra schools. If in a 6 months or so the tank is healthy and you are able to keep water parameters under control then you could consider another school of you think there is room.

Back
Top Bottom