Stock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My girlfriend has a small 2 gallon tank with a male betta. She wants to add something else. But with her tank being so small she doesn't have many options. She said something about adding a guppy. Would that work? I recommended a dwarf frog. She doesn't use a filter, so she would need something pretty hardy. Any recommendations that are easy to find at a local pet store would be appreciated! Thanks.

My girlfriend has a small 2 gallon tank with a male betta. She wants to add something else. But with her tank being so small she doesn't have many options. She said something about adding a guppy. Would that work? I recommended a dwarf frog. She doesn't use a filter, so she would need something pretty hardy. Any recommendations that are easy to find at a local pet store would be appreciated! Thanks.

Nothing. Until she gets that filter switched on I advise absolutely nothing! Does she do water changes and how often?

Nothing. Until she gets that filter switched on I advise absolutely nothing! Does she do water changes and how often?

I can add a filter for her. She just doesn't use it at the moment because of it just being a betta. She just got the tank. But I told her to change some of the water about once a week.

I wouldn't add a guppy and a filter isn't needed. If she upped the wc to 2 times a week she could add shrimp, or snail(s), dwarf frog or just some plants :)

I wouldn't add a guppy and a filter isn't needed. If she upped the wc to 2 times a week she could add shrimp, or snail(s), dwarf frog or just some plants :)

Um, I think a filter is needed because they need something to keep the oxygen in the tank. I've never had a tank this small so hopefully someone else has something to say

The betta will eat the guppy's beautiful colorful fins at best, kill the guppy at worst. And bettas are not items purchased to decorate a room. One betta needs a five gallon tank and deserves fresh, clean filtered water just like other tropical fish. Humans would never think of living in a bathroom without an operational toilet, and eating and trying to exercise in that same bathroom. And adding some small active humans to keep them company in the small bathroom??? When did cleanliness become optional for bettas? JMHO

Um, I think a filter is needed because they need something to keep the oxygen in the tank. I've never had a tank this small so hopefully someone else has something to say

Bettas don't need a lot of oxygen in a tank unlike most fish, they can also gulp form the surface is they need to but most of the time they do fine without filter/pump. In the wild during dry seasons bettas can live months in puddles that don't have any air circulation. (that's why they can live in a bowl at a petstore) I don't agree with bowls as they have very little room so 1. the fish cant be completely healthy and 2. its harder to keep water clean which sort of goes back to 1.

Back
Top Bottom