Stock Question on a 10Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I have a 2 10Gal Tanks.
One of the 10Gal Tanks are being converted into a QT tank.
So I've been moving my sister's stock into another 10gal.
But I acqiured 10gal by a senior citizen that could no longer keep maintence to par. So, it already has inhabitants.

What came with the tank:
1: Redeye tetra (I think its a serpae tetra or something like that)
2: Cory Catfish
1: Black Tetra

What was transfer to the tank:
2: Black Tetras
4: Tiger Barbs

My question is
Overstocked or just Right?

Thanks Mp

I would have to agree with tiffi. You'll just have to get a larger tank, so you can house the barbs and other fish. :biglol:

well their just going to have to live with it, because the 29gal that I acqiured acouple days ago is in major disrepair.
I can't put them in the main tank.(The 44Gal)
And putting them back in the old tank is not an option.
Not to mention I do weekly water changes on all tanks.

29gal needs repairs, I need money to get the repairs done, I need a stand for the tank which needs money, and I need a filter, which needs money.

so right now the 29gal won't be ready for a few months not to mention, I really have no room to put it, until I have decided where I'm going to get this setup up and running, their just going have to live with the crowded tank.

Why can't they go in the 44? And why would you ask us if your reply was going to be "they'll have to live with it?"

44 have guppies with fry, last time I mixed guppies and tiger barbs the outcome wasn't pretty.

and I only ask because I wasn't sure if it was overstocked, or not.

Then for now do some extra water changes as necessary and that will help with the overstocking issue. Good luck with the repairs to the 29 gal. Good thing you aren't putting the barbs in with the guppy fry.

keep doing my weekly water changes? I do 50% on all tanks, I mean common sense say that they should be ok for a week for 50%

well anyways as Soon as I get the 29 gal I might start a barb/tetra community. Everyone said that barbs and tetras don't do so well yet my sister has them together. Weird, must have been a rumor.

well hopefully I can find a PRO to reseal my newly acquired tank otherwise take a risk and DIY.

Lol. If your saying that tank is overstocked, I'd hate to tell you what I kept in my 10 gallon for 2 years with no problems. :lol:

Lance M. said:
Lol. If your saying that tank is overstocked, I'd hate to tell you what I kept in my 10 gallon for 2 years with no problems. :lol:

Ok you got me.
What did you keep in your 10 gallon for 2 years?

:D

4- White Cloud Mtn. Minnows
3- Glow-light tetras
3- Rummy-nose tetras
1- 7inch spotted Dojo loach (now 8 )
1- 4 inch spotted raphael catfish (now 5 inch)
1- 2 inch striped raphael catfish (now 3)
1- 6 inch Farlowella acus (now almost 7.5)
1- Flying fox - now 3.5 inch
1- CAE- now 4.5 inch
1- Clown pleco (3 inch)
5- pygmy cory cats
3- brown (?) pencilfish
2- vampire shrimp
1- bamboo shrimp
2- ghost shrimp
~7-8 Trapdoor snails
Countless MTS

Note: Heavily planted tank. Now all these fish are in a 20 gallon, except for the glow-lights.

water params where constant 6.8ph, GH- ~2 degrees, KH- ~6 degrees, Ammonia- 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm - that's all the test kits I have ... :wink: About a 40% water change every ten days.

Good luck with your ten gallon!

AHHHH!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!! 8O :twisted:
Those poor, poor fishes crammed in a 20"x10" box

You kept most of those fish in a planted 10 gallon.
YOU ARE GOD! 8O

wow so I shouldn't worry too much,
I guess they will be fine in the 10gal for now.

Mad Professor said:
AHHHH!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!! 8O :twisted:
Those poor, poor fishes crammed in a 20"x10" box

You kept most of those fish in a planted 10 gallon.
YOU ARE GOD! 8O

wow so I shouldn't worry too much,
I guess they will be fine in the 10gal for now.

There weren't really any space issues, except for the dojo.
Plant tanks allow for more fish, but most people don't go anywhere towards what I had and by most people I mean that no one (in their right mind) will do what I did (not even to see if it works, as it does :eek: ).

Back
Top Bottom