stocking 100 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i swim said:
-5 discus
-6 denison barbs
-albino rainbow shark
-8 rummy nose tetras
-2 kribensis
-3 khuli loaches
-6 cory cats
-1 clown loach (?)

could i do a bolivian ram or would that cause aggression?

thanks!

Clown loaches get big and for a proper school of these foot long creatures I would say 150 gallons. I've never seen them get that big though.

i swim said:
-5 discus
-6 denison barbs
-albino rainbow shark
-8 rummy nose tetras
-2 kribensis
-3 khuli loaches
-6 cory cats
-1 clown loach (?)

could i do a bolivian ram or would that cause aggression?

thanks!

I would ditch the kribs because if they are a pair they could be aggressive, and with a rainbow shark it would get super aggressive in there on the bottom and I'd be worried about the khuli loaches and Cory cats. Maybe double the Rummynoses school. The Bolivian ram will be fine.

i really like the kribs. what if i dont do the rainbow shark... idk... is the rainbow shark better or the kribs??? i like both... maybe i could just do a trio of bolivian rams instead...

i swim said:
i really like the kribs. what if i dont do the rainbow shark... idk... is the rainbow shark better or the kribs??? i like both... maybe i could just do a trio of bolivian rams instead...

I would rather do Bolivians, a trio of females maybe. Discus are highly expensive and sensitive fish and I wouldn't want a 200$ investment to go down the drain because kribs or a rainbow shark were attacking it...

Try SW. Researching it now will help you alot.

i know a lot about sw but the expenses im not sure about. my uncle has a 34 gallon nano which i LOVE. i would love tangs and butterfly fish but that could be quite expensive! i will look into it though.

my new stocking list:
-5 discus
-6 denison barbs
-8 rummy nose tetras
-4 bolivin rams (2 pairs)
-3 khuli loaches
-8 cory cats

i am also seriously considering saltwater so this isnt final yet. maybe in the future if i feel i have time i could have a freshwater and saltwater 100 gallon tank!

freshwater it is! so im planning on this in a few years!
-5 discus
-6 denison barbs
-8 rummy nose tetras
-8 cory cats

is that stocked? i think i can have more fish but im not sure... any input?

edit: not doing khuli loaches anymore... they are noctornal and thin so it snot like anyone will see them much. might as well stock something else in its place. ideas?

Why not SW I'm 100% sure it'll attract more customers. Especially if it's a reef built into a wall. I kno a restaurant that looked empty until they added a koi pond and a 200g reef and it was packed cuz it looked luxurious. The food was expensive and tasted alright not the best for no reason lol

freshwater it is! so im planning on this in a few years!
-5 discus
-6 denison barbs
-8 rummy nose tetras
-8 cory cats

is that stocked? i think i can have more fish but im not sure... any input?

edit: not doing khuli loaches anymore... they are noctornal and thin so it snot like anyone will see them much. might as well stock something else in its place. ideas?

-Yes.
-Yes.
-Yes!
-Yes!!!
-YES!
-YES!!!

In that big of a tank the two bolivian pairs will have lots of room to squabble without it being a problem.

Alternatives to khulis are yoyo loaches, zebra loaches, maybe pakastani loaches too.

Why not SW I'm 100% sure it'll attract more customers. Especially if it's a reef built into a wall. I kno a restaurant that looked empty until they added a koi pond and a 200g reef and it was packed cuz it looked luxurious. The food was expensive and tasted alright not the best for no reason lol

i think i would rather do a 100 gallon freshwater with a smaller 75 gallon SW tank...

i want my office to be a whole aquarium theme. i might have 5 gallon tanks through out with bettas in them. maybe a few smaller sw tanks with gobies and clownfish... i will have to see. imjust dreaming right now!

That would be pretty cool actually. Why not an aquarium at every desk? You could have a whole fish theme going on and teach people on fish while checking up on their teeth! You could also use three five gallon tanks that represent the three types of water (freshwater, brackish and saltwater) and put each fish of different water in different types. You could do something like this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/60-gallon-3-tier-waterfall-tank-153600.html

That would be pretty cool actually. Why not an aquarium at every desk? You could have a whole fish theme going on and teach people on fish while checking up on their teeth! You could also use three five gallon tanks that represent the three types of water (freshwater, brackish and saltwater) and put each fish of different water in different types. You could do something like this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/60-gallon-3-tier-waterfall-tank-153600.html

thats exactly the theme i want!!! two big tanks for which i can hire a clean up maintenence crew from my lfs to clean. the rest could be 30 gallons and under for my assistance to clean up! i could honestly have this in within ten years! check back a few years from now ad i will have pics;) lol! but it would be a cool office. im serious. fish everywhere! most people fond fish very boring at home if they own them but everyone loves a trip to the aquarium! my office could be like a mini aquarium! im already so excited! yay! better start planning;) lol anyways, hows my freshwater stocking? more fish? less fish?

IMO your freshwater stocking is fine. Maybe two more discus, and then you could add another school of something-cough, cough-RAINBOWFISH-cough, cough-and it would look real pretty. (y)

IMO your freshwater stocking is fine. Maybe two more discus, and then you could add another school of something-cough, cough-RAINBOWFISH-cough, cough-and it would look real pretty. (y)

cool! i will do two more discus and maybe rainbow fish. they all look just silver to me with a tint of dull color. whats your experience with them?

Rainbowfish are so colorful! I love them! IME boeseman's, australians, dwarf neons, threadfins, salmons and kamakas are all beautiful! If you get two different schols you'd have a lot of color in your tank.

The reason they look silver with dull color is because they are not in proper lighting at the LFS, put them in some and feed them and you'll have colorful fish in no time! :)

im actually leaning towards Gardneri Clown killifish. i could do rainbow fish in another tank... what do you think? and how many should i get?

Sure, gardeneri clownfish could work!

If you wanted another rainbow tank I'd say 55 gallon minimum for a tank full of three to four species, and 75 gallon if you wanted six to seven species.

If it was the 55 gallon:
5-6 Threadfin Rainbows
5-6 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
5-6 Boeseman's Rainbows
5-6 Emerald Rainbows

If it was a 75 Gallon:
6-7 Kamaka Rainbows
6-7 Boeseman's Rainbows
6-7 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
6-7 Emerald Rainbows
6-7 Salmon Rainbows
6-7 Australian Rainbows
6-7 Goldie River Rainbows

But this is just me. Do whatever rainbows you want! :)

Back
Top Bottom