Stocking 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Howdy!
I have a relatively heavily planted (so I'm not too afraid of slightly overstocking) 10g tank that I've had for a little over a year now. Over the past few months I've lost some fish to old age/disease (which has been taken care of) and now I'm considering replacing some fish!

The only issue is that I'm getting a little bored with what I have so I'm wondering if I could branch out and get something new. If not because neons are schoolers, that's fine.

My only restraint is no betta! I've tried two and it just never works out.

10g tank, Aqueon Quietflow20
4x Neon Tetra
2x Platy
1x Zebra Nerite Snail

Thanks for the suggestions!

Some people think neons are not suitable for 10g so with that being said I think you should up your neons to at least 6 then get something like a Dwarf or Honey Gourami for a nice touch of color and call it quits so your not overstocked.

Since the bio-load of neons is so small and you only have 2 platies I feel you could add one of those small gouramis. Plus if you tank is heavily planted that gives you a little bonus IMO.

I would suggest a Honey gourami which also comes in Sunset honey and Golden honey color varieties as they are alittle more laid back than Dwarf gourami's. Here's a couple links to my dwarf and honey gourami's.... the first link it to my baby 1" Sunset honey gourami, the second link is to the Red Flame dwarf and Powder (or neon depending on who's selling them) Blue dwarf gourami.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g inhabitants - Picture

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g inhabitants - Picture

Neon tetras require schools of six or more, preferably 8-10, so I would add more. Then you can get a dwarf gourami.

7 neons and a 3 guppies, 1m-2f, and 5 pygmy cories, plus your nerite would be great IMO.

If you up the tetras to 6 it would be good. The snail probably makes a lot of waste, so without that you could add up to four African dwarf frogs. They have the best personalities!

While these are all great suggestions, I just noticed that I apparently did not take care of the disease. Might be TB, not sure. I have a thread in Unhealthy Fish if anyone is experienced.
Looks like the new fish have to wait :(

Back
Top Bottom