Stocking???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 28 gallon euro aquarium with a marineland stealth pro heater, marineland penguin bio-filter, digital LCD themometer, sand substrate, and 4 giant black stones. I was wondering if 12 albino Cory catfish and 1 veiltail female betta would be overstocking the tank. If anything, I want it understocked! I really don't want a fully stocked tank! Also if it makes a difference im using fishless cycling! I don't know about decorations yet I found some natural decor and caves on petsmart I like and if I can find any marimo balls.

Not overstocked at all :) You could add more fish, I'd stick to 12 cories though because the footprint of the tank isn't huge, and they like the bottom.

Ok thanks if your sure this wouldn't be overstocking I'll gladly get them I want my tank 75 percent stocked would my plan follow that percentage? My tank is a square and doesn't really have the much bottom space like you said. My mom wants something unique like a kuhli loach would adding one of those help prevent anaerobic conditions in sand? Also would they be a good Addison to my tank or would they just annoy the cories an get stuck in the filter and stuff? If it would be compatible with my tank would it still follow my stocking preference of keeping the tank understocked?
Not overstocked at all :) You could add more fish, I'd stick to 12 cories though because the footprint of the tank isn't huge, and they like the bottom.

With 12 cories and a betta you are around 51% ;) stocked for a 20gal. IMO a tank that size can support two schools of 12 (or so) + a centerpiece or three before reaching what I'd consider 100% stocked... many push beyond that and have great success though :p

Anyway, you could add 1 kuhli loach for sure, they like groups though so I would add 6. That would not overstock your tank, that would be like 75-80% stocked IMO.

If you wanted to keep stock levels down you could also do pygmy cories :lol: so cute.

Back
Top Bottom