Stocking 14 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adangelo100

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to stock my 14 gal... (restarted cycle for reasons lol) I have a silver dollar who will temporarily reside there until my dad sets up his big tank and a very territorial glo fish... He nips at anything new except for my snail and the silver dollar (they're in a 2.5 gal right now until the cycle finishes)... Should I Keep the goldfish (who looks like a breed of danio) in the 2.5? Idk what to do..l I don't want to get new fish and have him nip like he's done before... I'm still very new to the hobby and I'm finally on the right track so I don't want to mess is all up

The most likely reason your Glofish is being a punk is because it IS a Zebra Danio and, therefore, needs to be in a school of at least five. They are crazy fish that are VERY active and they should be kept in at least a 20 gallon long tank. You really should see them when given the room and numbers they need, it is very entertaining and they are not aggressive towards others at all. And you don't have to get more Glofish if you don't want to. You can get any Danio Rerio for the school: Zebras, Goldens, Blues, Leopard, there are a bunch of different color forms of the Rerios.

Ok cool so if I get the school (my dad has a 20 long he's stocking as well) he won't nip at them bc they're smaller? I'm hoping not

You might want to try to pick some out that come close to his size just for their protection. It will get rowdy though, that's just the way Danios are. It's all fun and games, no one gets hurt. I have a school of nine in a 75g and the shenanigans seem to go on forever. When they really get wound up my BGK runs and hides in his log even though he is big enough to eat most of them.

Lol! They sound hysterical... Thanks for the tip! Now to figure out what to put in my 14 gal lol I can't wait to get some guys in there :)

Nano type fish, pygmy cories, red cherry shrimp, mystery snail or two, guppies, plates. List could go on

I was thinking about some male guppies... I was wondering if they're are any fish that are ok just being single with the guppies... I know gouramis are but it's a joint tank and my sister isn't too keen on them... What about a red tail shark? Is the tank too small for that?

Not a good idea on the RTS. They really need at least a three foot long tank. They are very territorial and in that small of a tank may tear up those guppies. Plus they get up to six inches long.

That's what I figured... I was trying to go for fish that don't need schools like tetras... I love the neons but we were hoping for a tank with variety... If we get four guppies and a school of tetras what else can I really put in there?

Hmm that sounds like a nice combo... What I I were I get 2 of several different breeds of tetras... Would they school together?

I suppose its possible that they might, if they were very close to the same, but in general they usually won't. It's more likely with rasporas, which are also a good choice.

Cories like groups of 5, tetras may school together but its hard to say. My neons school occasionally with my rummynoses.

Well I was thinking of getting two neons, two cardinals, two penguins, and two black neons...

They would most likely pair of, but there is always a chance, you might get 2 mixed schools. Might get 4 pairs. Could go several ways, could.

Back
Top Bottom