stocking 150g - Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaaikop

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would be the maximum capacity (fishwise) of a 150g tank, heavily
planted? I know the 1 inch. of fish/gal. rule, but that depends on a lot of
things. Tetras are very small, and so far my plants are taking all the
NH3, NO2, NO3 to a point where I have constant negative readings.

My final plan would be this: 48 neons, 24 rummys, 24 x-ray tetras,
6 otos, and a dozen shrimps (I have also platys right now, but they will
move to another tank, when this is completed).

What you should do is start off with adding 6 of each at a time. With a 150 gal tank, you can add more at a time than a standard 10 or 55 gal tank. Add 6 of each once a week and just see where it goes. You may get all 48 of the neons, 24 rummy's, and decide to stop at 18 X-rays. I'd play it by ear when it comes to something like this. But, that's JMO.

I agree with ff, but you are going to have a great tank once it is all stocked! I love small fish community tanks!

I agree...all schooling fish should be in there preferred groupings and introduced at the same time.

Wow...I just imagined what that tank would look like with all those schools... :shocked!:

To be honest I think you could have quite a few more fish, amybe even twice as many Neons and still be understocked, the 1" of fish per gallon rule is rubbish when it comes to small tetras IMO. Unless of course gravel vaccing is going to be a problem with it beimng heavily planted or something.

as a algae-cleaning crew...6 ottos and a dozen shrimp ( depending on what type of course) are probably going to be ok...
but if you can find them, add a six-or-so school of SAEs...they are great schoolers IME and would grow nicely in the 150g...

That many schools of fish in that size of a tank is goin to look amazing.
I hopw you post some pics as soon as its all stocked.

Back
Top Bottom