stocking 20g kribensis tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I have an empty fully mature 20 gallon. I was thinking about putting a pair or one kribensis in there. Aqua advisor is having a hissy fit about it right now, so I wanted your consensus on stocking.
I have an aquaclear 20 filter and an elite mini for a little extra current for my hillstream loach. I want a nice school in there, probably Rummynose tetra. I also sort of like pearl gourami, but they're probably too big and slow to be with a breeding pair right? About how many Rummynose is reasonable in this setup? Room for anything else like some hatchets? What are your suggestions?

I think you could just do a pair and nothing else in a 20 gallon.

I think if i have one I can have a reasonably sized school, it seems pretty common. I also had to upgrade to an aquaclear 30 because my 20 busted

Alot will depend on the aggression level of the Krib pair. I've kept them off and on over the years and everytime ended up moving pairs into their own 20g tank once they began spawning and raising fry. The are actually pretty neat to have alone and watch them with fry but also be aware as you can end up with truck loads of fry once the parents get things down. You could add a school of something but honestly you would have to see how it goes with the pair. I've always ended up with butt head pairs so other fish just wouldn't work. If you decide you have to try other fish I would strongly suggest a very fast active fish like danio's or similar not more docile fish like rummynose tetras. Or perhaps as much as I dislike them Serpae tetras might work. I'd also say 6 tops so there is no crowding which could increase any aggression the pair might have. Another thing that would help is to heavily plant the tank which will give the Kribs more privacy when spawning.

Because breeding isn't really my goal, I'm considering just one krib. Will that be okay?

One Krib will work much better. They will generally behave. I still would keep them with alittle more hardy fish like danios or the more active tetras.

Back
Top Bottom