Stocking 25 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram_g0p

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Our 25 gallon tank was bought as a kit (Aqueon premium kit). The tank set-up is:
Aqueon 30 HOB (came with the kit) and fluval 206 canister (added later)
150 watt Aqueon heater
T5 NO 6700K daylight and T5 Colormax (Both 14 watt & 24 inch)

Plants(currently): amazon sword (2), jungle vals, anacharis, anubias nana, java fern (1), windelov fern (2), mayaca
Planning to add: wisteria, telenthera cardinalis (my daughter wants this!) & dwarf hairgrass

Fish (currently): rasboras (7), cardinal tetra (3), neon tetra (2)
Planning to add: some more cardinal tetras (may be 4-5), male betta, gold rams (pair), some kind of corys (3-4), african dwarf frog, may be an algae eater like oto (1?; if needed)

What do you think? Any other suggestions, modifications, advice very much appreciated.
I'm a bit concerned about adding the male betta, but there are conflicting opinions. One my kids is really interested in getting a betta. I am not sure I want to have separate tank. I do have a 2.5 gal which I use as hospital tank.
What kind of corys are good for a 25 gal tank?
Will gold rams be OK with a male betta in the tank? Or with any of other choices?
I hear ADF being a slow one may be a problem while feeding??

Thanks a bunch in advance.

For the cories, choose pandas or pygmies since they're are dwarfs and not as big as normal cories!

All Cory's are schooling. I've even had schooling cory's of different types. To be honest, with you're additions to the tank, it might be close to if not fully stocked. Pygmy Cory's can be a toss up on personality if predators are around. Pandas are a personal favorite (behind emerald's of course).

Cory's also do best in groups of 5+. So if you'd like to see the full potential of them, I would remove a different category of fish from the future stock plan to account for them.

Yes, I realize that I am at the full stock (if not over) level with my plan. However, with so many plants, most of them now started to take off in growth, and two filters (esp with Fluval 206 rated up to 45 Gal) running, I though it was manageable. I would like add may be 5 (or 4 at least) of smaller kind corys. I have decided to pass on ADF and may be also on the male betta. I may not need the Oto for now. There are some snails showing up in the tank - that came with one of the plants :( They do a good job of cleaning the algae, but I am worried about snail over population. May resort to lettuce or other time-tried methods, if needed. Thanks.

Pygmy cories and pandas are generally the only cories you should keep with plants. Someone at my LFS said that cories uproot plants.

I have pandas and bronze cories. 6 + 2 in a 29 gallon. if plants have reasonable roots they will stay put.

Do your cardinals school with the neons?

ram_g0p said:
Yes, I realize that I am at the full stock (if not over) level with my plan. However, with so many plants, most of them now started to take off in growth, and two filters (esp with Fluval 206 rated up to 45 Gal) running, I though it was manageable. I would like add may be 5 (or 4 at least) of smaller kind corys. I have decided to pass on ADF and may be also on the male betta. I may not need the Oto for now. There are some snails showing up in the tank - that came with one of the plants :( They do a good job of cleaning the algae, but I am worried about snail over population. May resort to lettuce or other time-tried methods, if needed. Thanks.

I approve of the pass on the ADF. In a larger tank they have a tendency to starve. They aren't the fastest or aggressive eaters.

Otos are also schooling fish that need at least 3, just for future reference.

Your snails are most likely Pond or Ramshorn. Those generally show up when you buy plants and both of them have potential to eat plants. Generally I only keep Malaysia Trumpet Snails although some have professed benefits of Pond Snails. Easiest way to keeps population in check is to not overfeed your fish. That and the lettuce method.

As far as the Corydoras go, I think in a 25 (or 29?) you have some room to play with most species. Obviously a smaller species will benefit since you are keeping a decent amount of other fish. I would go with Panda over Pygmaeus. Although I love Pygmaeus, they generally swim in the middle strata of the tank, and what you want is something more to the bottom. Also, differing from others, I have never had problems with larger Corydoras species and plants. I've had 5 inch or so Bronze Corydoras with no uproots of even stem plants. Varies from Cory to Cory I suppose.

Predfan27 said:
I approve of the pass on the ADF. In a larger tank they have a tendency to starve. They aren't the fastest or aggressive eaters.

Otos are also schooling fish that need at least 3, just for future reference.

Your snails are most likely Pond or Ramshorn. Those generally show up when you buy plants and both of them have potential to eat plants. Generally I only keep Malaysia Trumpet Snails although some have professed benefits of Pond Snails. Easiest way to keeps population in check is to not overfeed your fish. That and the lettuce method.

As far as the Corydoras go, I think in a 25 (or 29?) you have some room to play with most species. Obviously a smaller species will benefit since you are keeping a decent amount of other fish. I would go with Panda over Pygmaeus. Although I love Pygmaeus, they generally swim in the middle strata of the tank, and what you want is something more to the bottom. Also, differing from others, I have never had problems with larger Corydoras species and plants. I've had 5 inch or so Bronze Corydoras with no uproots of even stem plants. Varies from Cory to Cory I suppose.

Lastly, some questions for you. You say you have Rasboras...what kind? You say you're adding some more Cardinal Tetras, but you only have 2 Neon Tetras. Do they school with your Cardinals?

Thanks for the suggestions. As for neons and cardinals, I actually went for the cardinals, but the store had only four (wanted 6-8). So I bought the 4 cards and 4 neons that were in the same tank. (Funny aside, the guy the store didn't even realize they were neons!! The tank was labelled 'cardina tetra', but besides the 4 rest were all neons!!). Anyhow, the day after I bought one cardinal died. Not unusual, I suppose. They are sooooo sensitive. Then within the first week 2 neons died within 2 days apart from each other. They both had developed some white patch (which grow large fast) and died within 24 hr after the white spot onset :( I never really wanted to get the neons as I never had good luck with them. As for schooling, they, the neons and cardinals, hang out together some times. I wouldn't really call it schooling, even the 3 cards together. May be I need more number, plus a larger fish to make them want to school. The neons and cards swim at the middle and bottom together at times. If any discord, it's between the 2 neons! Both are somewhat large (jumbo type), but one (the aggressor) is a tad larger.... I do not plan on getting any neons. I will let these 2 stay with the cards.... They don't seem to mind!!

ram_g0p said:
Hi,

Our 25 gallon tank was bought as a kit (Aqueon premium kit). The tank set-up is:
Aqueon 30 HOB (came with the kit) and fluval 206 canister (added later)
150 watt Aqueon heater
T5 NO 6700K daylight and T5 Colormax (Both 14 watt & 24 inch)

Plants(currently): amazon sword (2), jungle vals, anacharis, anubias nana, java fern (1), windelov fern (2), mayaca
Planning to add: wisteria, telenthera cardinalis (my daughter wants this!) & dwarf hairgrass

Fish (currently): rasboras (7), cardinal tetra (3), neon tetra (2)
Planning to add: some more cardinal tetras (may be 4-5), male betta, gold rams (pair), some kind of corys (3-4), african dwarf frog, may be an algae eater like oto (1?; if needed)

What do you think? Any other suggestions, modifications, advice very much appreciated.
I'm a bit concerned about adding the male betta, but there are conflicting opinions. One my kids is really interested in getting a betta. I am not sure I want to have separate tank. I do have a 2.5 gal which I use as hospital tank.
What kind of corys are good for a 25 gal tank?
Will gold rams be OK with a male betta in the tank? Or with any of other choices?
I hear ADF being a slow one may be a problem while feeding??

Thanks a bunch in advance.

From you list of stock I would remove the betta, adf, and algae eater. Then I think your stock list could work. With the algae eater I wouldn't recommend a oto. They are schooling fish , and not very hardy. After the algae supply has gone lots of people struggle to feed them.
O

From you list of stock I would remove the betta, adf, and algae eater. Then I think your stock list could work. With the algae eater I wouldn't recommend a oto. They are schooling fish , and not very hardy. After the algae supply has gone lots of people struggle to feed them.
O

Hey thanks for your thoughts. I have added some more cardinals only as of now - that too only about a week ago. As I've mentioned in my earlier post, not going for the betta male or ADF. And I am not going for the oto either - don't need one. Surprisingly, I haven't had any algae in over a month. Partly, due the plants maturing and taking up the nutrients, part of it also the tank itself has become very established AND part of the credit must go the snails that have shown up in the tank!! Thanks to the jungle vals that I had added sometime ago!!

As for a centerpiece I am thinking of some small gourami - dwarf (powder blue?) or better honey gourami. I am a bit concerned about all the bad news about the iridivirus-ridden DGs. So may be a honey gourami or a pair. If I go with this, may I have to pass on the Ram(s), due to compatibility issues??? Any thoughts? Thanks again.

T5 fixture not working, how to fix

When I was changing water, some water seems to have gotten into the T5 fixture, just few drops may be. The lamp made weird cracking noise and went out. What went wrong? any way to fix this? I really can't afford buy a new fixture now. This one is only about 3 months old. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

The fixture is made by Coralife and it came as kit when I bought my 25 gallon Aqueon kit.

bettaowner said:
Pygmy cories and pandas are generally the only cories you should keep with plants. Someone at my LFS said that cories uproot plants.

I have never had any species of cory uproot my plants. I am not sure where you got that...

Back
Top Bottom