Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I've decided to go with ether a 55 or 60gal tank. I do know for sure I'm getting a rainbow shark, recommendations on how many to get would be awesome, but I also wanted 1 or 2 angel fish because I love them, what other fish would go well with these fish??? :)

Yes, they do go well together, you can put about 6 angels and 4 rainbows in a 55 gallon, I would also go with that in a 60 gallon
Try a pleco, they help clean your tank
Also some type of apple snail, go good together

Yes, they do go well together, you can put about 6 angels and 4 rainbows in a 55 gallon, I would also go with that in a 60 gallon

You can, but you'll have some serious issues. 6 angels in a 55 will result in major territory issues and mating issues as they age. It's also not recommended to have more than one shark in anything but a very large tank, they are also very territorially aggressive. OP if you want a rainbow, get one, as for angels, start with 2, or start with four and keep the idea that you'll rehome 2 of them when they pair or get aggressive.

You can, but you'll have some serious issues. 6 angels in a 55 will result in major territory issues and mating issues as they age. It's also not recommended to have more than one shark in anything but a very large tank, they are also very territorially aggressive. OP if you want a rainbow, get one, as for angels, start with 2, or start with four and keep the idea that you'll rehome 2 of them when they pair or get aggressive.

Oh ok, cool thanks!! :)

Ok! I will definitely be getting some kuhli loaches as well!! I am thinking maybe just to start, after I do my fish less cycle, with 1 angel, 1 rainbow, and maybe like 2 loaches!!

Good, but since you are starting, I would add four, they like to be in groups, and if you just put 2, they might get a bit stressed, also, if your gravel is sharp, they might cut the loaches as they have very fragile scales, sand is the best for these loaches, but I have them in this not too sharp rocks, and they do just right, after you add four, then you can add one at a time if you wish

The loaches have a really small bioload, so you could add 6 easily without noticing any parameter spikes. If it were me I would do 6 kuhlis and either the angels or the rainbow, then a week later if no spikes add the other. Also I would add the angels at the same time, angels that grow up together tend to have less issues, angels that have been alone get "tank is mine syndrome"

You should only keep 1 rainbow shark for every 50 gallons. I disagree that angels have to be in groups, I had one for over 3 years by itself and it did great. I also know a few people that keep them singularly and they flourish. I'm not a big fan of kuhlis, they hide all the time and don't do much for me. I would get either 12 cories, or 8 striatia botia.

You should only keep 1 rainbow shark for every 50 gallons. I disagree that angels have to be in groups, I had one for over 3 years by itself and it did great. I also know a few people that keep them singularly and they flourish. I'm not a big fan of kuhlis, they hide all the time and don't do much for me. I would get either 12 cories, or 8 striatia botia.

Just to be clear I never said you couldn't do one angel, just that if you know you'll be having more than one it is a better idea to have them grow up together.

Good, but since you are starting, I would add four, they like to be in groups, and if you just put 2, they might get a bit stressed, also, if your gravel is sharp, they might cut the loaches as they have very fragile scales, sand is the best for these loaches, but I have them in this not too sharp rocks, and they do just right, after you add four, then you can add one at a time if you wish

Ok, I was planning on doing sand for this one because I like the way sand looks! I was also contemplating on whether or not I should have a couple live plants.

Ok cool, so, how does this stock sound to everyone??

1 Rainbow shark
4 angel fish
4 striata Botia (gonna do more research on them)
4 kuhli loaches (gonna do more research on them)
3 corys (possibly)

This isn't my final decision but I'm gonna do more research on them and figure out which ones would be best. If anyone recommends I get more of one kind of the fish then I will appreciate any suggestions! Also, if anyone knows, I need some info on live plants, care, lighting, etc. any info is awesome!! :)

And possibly 1 or 2 plecos, to help clean obviously! Again, any advice/info/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I have a 75 with 4 angels, i am moving two of them once i get my 40 gal fishs grow and sold. Feeding time gets very ugly. IMO i would do two. And for the plecos make sure you get bristlenose pleco as they wont outgrow your tank, two would do great in your tank

I have a 75 with 4 angels, i am moving two of them once i get my 40 gal fishs grow and sold. Feeding time gets very ugly. IMO i would do two. And for the plecos make sure you get bristlenose pleco as they wont outgrow your tank, two would do great in your tank

Ok, great!

I also have realized that the pet stores here where I live, might not have the exact fish I'm looking for, like the Striatia Botia, or the bristle nose plecos, I'm still unsure if they have them but if they don't, would I order them forms website?

If they dont have them, they prob can order them. But you could also get some Otocinclus(Otos) they really good at helping keep algae in check. For these guys they like to be in groups 4 or more

If they dont have them, they prob can order them. But you could also get some Otocinclus(Otos) they really good at helping keep algae in check. For these guys they like to be in groups 4 or more

Oh ok, great! I will check on those!! Thanks!!

+1 on the otos, I love mine, a lot haha. They're there, but they kinda chill and hide a little so it makes seeing them a treat. I would do otos instead of a pleco, but if you like plecos get one, that stays small, they have a very large bioload compared to their size. Personally I would choose between the botias and Cory's, but its your tank. If you can't find botia striata then you could also do botia angelicus "polka dot loach". Same fish, different patterns pretty much. 4 botias, and 4-5 kuhlis would be a fun and active bottom.

+1 on the otos, I love mine, a lot haha. They're there, but they kinda chill and hide a little so it makes seeing them a treat. I would do otos instead of a pleco, but if you like plecos get one, that stays small, they have a very large bioload compared to their size. Personally I would choose between the botias and Cory's, but its your tank. If you can't find botia striata then you could also do botia angelicus "polka dot loach". Same fish, different patterns pretty much. 4 botias, and 4-5 kuhlis would be a fun and active bottom.

Sounds likes plan! Thanks!:) are the otos bioload greater than the plecos??

Back
Top Bottom