Stocking 30 gal hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarramy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there! It's been a few years since I've kept a tank so I'm very happy to have one again finally. I was given a 30 gallon hex tank. It's so pretty! I know that since it's a tall tank it can affect stocking but I've not had a tall tank before though so I'm uncertain exactly how. I'm ready to start stocking it though so I'm here for some advice.

It's already cycled and very lightly planted though I hope to get some java moss and java fern added in there over the next few weeks. It is very well filtered (according to Aqadvisor, which I know is not always accurate, I'm at 251% filtration lol). I do have a betta already added in since that was not negotiable. He's gorgeous! And I have tall decorations and resting places toward the top so he doesn't tired himself out with the height. Now, what to add with him. I'm rather picky with my tank inhabitants.

Here's a list of some I've had in the past and really liked:
Pygmy puffers
Yoyo loaches
Kuhli loaches
Bristlenose plecos
Green spotted puffers
Otocinclus
Apple snails
Ghost shrimp
And obviously, bettas

So some suggestions? I don't like fish like mollies, guppies, tetras, etc.

No puffers. They'll shred your Betta.

You don't have enough floor space for Yoyos. Even a BN Pleco might be too much Bioload for a 30g Hex.

I'd do peaceful small fish that won't pick on your Betta.

Harlequin Rasboras.
Corydoras.
Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I definitely don't plan on getting puffers (sadly). I wasn't sure about the yoyos since I've read conflicting info about how much space they need. Some sources say 20 gal minimum, others say 55 min.

I can't stand Harlequins (or any fish like that) but corys might work. I'll consider that. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I definitely don't plan on getting puffers (sadly). I wasn't sure about the yoyos since I've read conflicting info about how much space they need. Some sources say 20 gal minimum, others say 55 min.

I can't stand Harlequins (or any fish like that) but corys might work. I'll consider that. Thanks. :)

It's not so much the exact gallons it's actual real estate. They need long tanks, not tall. Esp since like most loaches they are social and do best in groups.

Some Cories stay smaller. They are tiny Cories like C habrosus that stay about an inch.
24e7c04a2df194c7ebc22044cbf4d294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd said go for a bristle nose pleco I've got 2 in my 20g with 12 other fish and my parameters are good

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom