Stocking 30 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancaraya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All - recently upgraded to a 30 gallon planted tank.

So far I have 4 platties (initally got them for cycling), 1 blue dwarf gourami (male), 1 german blue ram (male), and a ghost shrimp.

I'm trying to go for a really colorful tank so trying to avoid buying females, if I can.

Thinking of getting an electric blue ram and/or another gourami (different color). Do you think I could successfully get some without there being problems with fish attacking each other?

Any suggestions of other fish I could get as well?

I wouldn't advise adding another kind of gourami, pretty good chance of problems with the other one. If you try it make sure you have another tank or somewhere you can move one. I don't know a lot about the rams so can't help you much there.

A little shoal of tetra would be my vote, always liven up any tank.

Pristella maxillaris (x ray tetra) these are real colourful but I haven't kept any, they are next on my tetra list!

Slightly smaller, Hyphessobrycon amandae (ember tetra) beautiful little red tetra. Just a bit small for my tastes otherwise I'd get some!

I've seen both of the above outside of the dealer tanks, they are amazing!

Hemigrammus erythrozonus (glowlight tetra) these I've kept since maybe 2006/7 I keep topping the shoal up when a few perish, you'll get a nice mid/lower level tetra with these, lovely almost transparent fish with a red lateral line. Great fish!

Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi (black neon tetra) another excellent little fish, I've had a group of these since maybe 2009/10 and replaced it once so far. Great black fish with a neon green/yellow/blue lateral line. Very nice mid upper tetra.
Once settled they'll disperse throughout the tank.

You could happily get 10-12 of whichever species suits your fancy and be happy for several years.

I'm not all that experienced when it comes to fish keeping but I do have one german blue ram in my community tank and did a lot of research before buying it. I definitely would not do two GBR's in a 30 gallon, regardless male or female.
You could do another gourami if you wanted to be really careful, but i would also recommend a school of tetra
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom