Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
KuhliCray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Stocking?

Hello! I have a 10 gallon long with a 20 gallon sponge filter. I also have live plants and a sand substrate. My stocking currently is 7 neon tetras, and 2 mystery snails. I was wondering, how many kuhlis could I safety add? I know it's debated that kuhlis should be in a 20 gallon, but I think I am experienced and responsible enough to give them the proper care in a 10 gallon. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
KuhliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,257
Your other post said you had 3 Neons and were concerned they were not active. Did you just add the Neons? They are notorious for carrying health issues.
__________________

__________________
Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
KuhliCray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Your other post said you had 3 Neons and were concerned they were not active. Did you just add the Neons? They are notorious for carrying health issues.


I added them. They are very healthy and active. They eat well and have encouraged my other neons to perk up.
__________________
KuhliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,257
I would suggest you wait a month and see how they progress. You need more plants and cover for Khuliís to be happy. Get your plants established and rocks settled and then see if your set up can handle some Khuliís. They like wiggling through dwarf sag.
__________________
Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
KuhliCray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Stocking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
I would suggest you wait a month and see how they progress. You need more plants and cover for Khuliís to be happy. Get your plants established and rocks settled and then see if your set up can handle some Khuliís. They like wiggling through dwarf sag.


I was planning on getting Dwarf sag, hornwort, and pearlweed. Taller sag will fill in any empty gaps in between plants and decorations and horn wort and pearl weed will fill in space.
EDIT: I won't get hornwort. I heard it is hard to keep buried. And since kuhlis dig... they don't mix...
__________________
KuhliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: West Coast USA
Posts: 3
Hello! As well as a debate about neons being in a 10 gallon, there are debates about kuhli loaches being in a 10 gallon too. I am not calling you a beginner, but some beginners do not take into account the amount of movement some fish have. For example, some people say little endlers need 20 gallons because they are so active, but the larger guppies only need 10 gallons because they are less active. Back to the subject, I think your tank might be a little overstocked with the kuhlis. If I were you, I would either get rid of the neons or wait for some of them to pass on before getting the kuhlis. Your filtration capacity would be good. I recommend checking aquadvisor.com to check everything. However, aquadvisor is not the most accurate. You should always check with real people before getting fish unless you are a pro. If you still want to add kuhlis, I would go for 3 or 4. That would maximize the numbers of the group while still supporting the size of the tank. But, like I said earlier, I would highly reccomend waiting or getting rid of the neons. Happy fishkeeping!
Edit: I just saw the post about your neons being a little sick. I would wait a while just to make sure that the fungus is 100% gone because you don’t want to kill your entire tank. I hope that won’t happen though lol ��.
__________________
MythologyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
KuhliCray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythologyFish View Post
Hello! As well as a debate about neons being in a 10 gallon, there are debates about kuhli loaches being in a 10 gallon too. I am not calling you a beginner, but some beginners do not take into account the amount of movement some fish have. For example, some people say little endlers need 20 gallons because they are so active, but the larger guppies only need 10 gallons because they are less active. Back to the subject, I think your tank might be a little overstocked with the kuhlis. If I were you, I would either get rid of the neons or wait for some of them to pass on before getting the kuhlis. Your filtration capacity would be good. I recommend checking aquadvisor.com to check everything. However, aquadvisor is not the most accurate. You should always check with real people before getting fish unless you are a pro. If you still want to add kuhlis, I would go for 3 or 4. That would maximize the numbers of the group while still supporting the size of the tank. But, like I said earlier, I would highly reccomend waiting or getting rid of the neons. Happy fishkeeping!


Thanks! I'll take this into account when i decide.
__________________
KuhliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,257
Stocking?

My Khuliís are fat and lazy. They forage around at a slow pace. Try to maximize your space. Donít just put things in there for them to hide under. They need plants to wiggle through. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	305587
The tall piece of wood the the left, they are up there in the Java fern all the time. It has a hollow below they get under. The rock on the right has a grapefruit size cave on the bottom they stay in most the time. The rock is centered in the tank with plants all around for them to wander through. They get up on top the rock and poke around too. The sand in the center front is planted with dwarf sag. They love it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513222211.033780.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	305588
__________________
Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
KuhliCray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
My Khuliís are fat and lazy. They forage around at a slow pace. Try to maximize your space. Donít just put things in there for them to hide under. They need plants to wiggle through. Attachment 305587
The tall piece of wood the the left, they are up there in the Java fern all the time. It has a hollow below they get under. The rock on the right has a grapefruit size cave on the bottom they stay in most the time. The rock is centered in the tank with plants all around for them to wander through. They get up on top the rock and poke around too. The sand in the center front is planted with dwarf sag. They love it. Attachment 305588


I know. Also, your tank is beautiful! I couldn't possibly make something that cool in a 10 gallon, but I will add more plant cover! Maybe a fake anemone they will like too!
__________________
KuhliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,257
I started out with a 5. Then went to 10, then 20, and now 29. You can do a lot with a 10.

This tank is only 4g. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513225776.695685.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	305589
__________________

__________________
Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15 gallon give me stocking ideas ! All stocking ideas cichlidthinker Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 12-31-2014 09:31 AM
another 55 gallon stocking thread, with partial stocking list! Dr.Who Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 13 08-14-2012 11:17 AM
20 gallon stocking? ok stocking? kim_luvs_fish. Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 09-09-2011 08:38 PM
Stocking list for my upgrade, looking for advice for on stocking... Patroklos Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 12-03-2009 01:14 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.