Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KuhliCray

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I have a 10 gallon long with a 20 gallon sponge filter. I also have live plants and a sand substrate. My stocking currently is 7 neon tetras, and 2 mystery snails. I was wondering, how many kuhlis could I safety add? I know it's debated that kuhlis should be in a 20 gallon, but I think I am experienced and responsible enough to give them the proper care in a 10 gallon. Thanks!

Your other post said you had 3 Neons and were concerned they were not active. Did you just add the Neons? They are notorious for carrying health issues.

Your other post said you had 3 Neons and were concerned they were not active. Did you just add the Neons? They are notorious for carrying health issues.

I added them. They are very healthy and active. They eat well and have encouraged my other neons to perk up.

I would suggest you wait a month and see how they progress. You need more plants and cover for Khuli’s to be happy. Get your plants established and rocks settled and then see if your set up can handle some Khuli’s. They like wiggling through dwarf sag.

I would suggest you wait a month and see how they progress. You need more plants and cover for Khuli’s to be happy. Get your plants established and rocks settled and then see if your set up can handle some Khuli’s. They like wiggling through dwarf sag.

I was planning on getting Dwarf sag, hornwort, and pearlweed. Taller sag will fill in any empty gaps in between plants and decorations and horn wort and pearl weed will fill in space.
EDIT: I won't get hornwort. I heard it is hard to keep buried. And since kuhlis dig... they don't mix...

Hello! As well as a debate about neons being in a 10 gallon, there are debates about kuhli loaches being in a 10 gallon too. I am not calling you a beginner, but some beginners do not take into account the amount of movement some fish have. For example, some people say little endlers need 20 gallons because they are so active, but the larger guppies only need 10 gallons because they are less active. Back to the subject, I think your tank might be a little overstocked with the kuhlis. If I were you, I would either get rid of the neons or wait for some of them to pass on before getting the kuhlis. Your filtration capacity would be good. I recommend checking aquadvisor.com to check everything. However, aquadvisor is not the most accurate. You should always check with real people before getting fish unless you are a pro. If you still want to add kuhlis, I would go for 3 or 4. That would maximize the numbers of the group while still supporting the size of the tank. But, like I said earlier, I would highly reccomend waiting or getting rid of the neons. Happy fishkeeping!
Edit: I just saw the post about your neons being a little sick. I would wait a while just to make sure that the fungus is 100% gone because you don’t want to kill your entire tank. I hope that won’t happen though lol ��.

Last edited:
Hello! As well as a debate about neons being in a 10 gallon, there are debates about kuhli loaches being in a 10 gallon too. I am not calling you a beginner, but some beginners do not take into account the amount of movement some fish have. For example, some people say little endlers need 20 gallons because they are so active, but the larger guppies only need 10 gallons because they are less active. Back to the subject, I think your tank might be a little overstocked with the kuhlis. If I were you, I would either get rid of the neons or wait for some of them to pass on before getting the kuhlis. Your filtration capacity would be good. I recommend checking aquadvisor.com to check everything. However, aquadvisor is not the most accurate. You should always check with real people before getting fish unless you are a pro. If you still want to add kuhlis, I would go for 3 or 4. That would maximize the numbers of the group while still supporting the size of the tank. But, like I said earlier, I would highly reccomend waiting or getting rid of the neons. Happy fishkeeping!

Thanks! I'll take this into account when i decide.

My Khuli’s are fat and lazy. They forage around at a slow pace. Try to maximize your space. Don’t just put things in there for them to hide under. They need plants to wiggle through. IMG_2287.jpg
The tall piece of wood the the left, they are up there in the Java fern all the time. It has a hollow below they get under. The rock on the right has a grapefruit size cave on the bottom they stay in most the time. The rock is centered in the tank with plants all around for them to wander through. They get up on top the rock and poke around too. The sand in the center front is planted with dwarf sag. They love it. IMG_1513222211.033780.jpg

My Khuli’s are fat and lazy. They forage around at a slow pace. Try to maximize your space. Don’t just put things in there for them to hide under. They need plants to wiggle through. View attachment 305587
The tall piece of wood the the left, they are up there in the Java fern all the time. It has a hollow below they get under. The rock on the right has a grapefruit size cave on the bottom they stay in most the time. The rock is centered in the tank with plants all around for them to wander through. They get up on top the rock and poke around too. The sand in the center front is planted with dwarf sag. They love it. View attachment 305588

I know. Also, your tank is beautiful! I couldn't possibly make something that cool in a 10 gallon, but I will add more plant cover! Maybe a fake anemone they will like too!

I started out with a 5. Then went to 10, then 20, and now 29. You can do a lot with a 10.

This tank is only 4g. IMG_1513225776.695685.jpg

Wow both of those tanks look amazing! How big is the first one? It looks pretty big. KuhliCray, one thing you could do is add a carpeting plant. I know you wanted dwarf sag and TMaier said that was good. I think dwarf sag might also be referred to as dwarf baby tears, but I will have to double check that. On a side note, how many kuhlis do you think you are going to get? Or are you still researching and thinking?

Wow both of those tanks look amazing! How big is the first one? It looks pretty big. KuhliCray, one thing you could do is add a carpeting plant. I know you wanted dwarf sag and TMaier said that was good. I think dwarf sag might also be referred to as dwarf baby tears, but I will have to double check that. On a side note, how many kuhlis do you think you are going to get? Or are you still researching and thinking?

3 or 4. Most likely 4. I attached a picture of my tank anyone can suggest changes to make it more densely planted. Thank you!IMG_1513229226.919267.jpg
Sorry about the glare!

You’re off to a good start. If it were me I would spend the next 6 months investing in some dwarf sag, more Java fern varieties, and perhaps a crypt for color. Anubias is great and easy too. Watch for plant listings here on this forum. Some of my best plants have come from here!

My largest tank is a 29. I use homemade root tabs in the substrate and a bit of liquid fertilizer Flourish and Potassium.

Dwarf sag is very different from tears. Tears is pretty needy. I like easy plants. Not too high demand on light and no CO2.

Junglefowl has a great trident fern up for sale.

Ferns, Moss, Plants Package, Bucephalandra
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363130

Last edited:
You’re off to a good start. If it were me I would spend the next 6 months investing in some dwarf sag, more Java fern varieties, and perhaps a crypt for color. Anubias is great and easy too. Watch for plant listings here on this forum. Some of my best plants have come from here!

My largest tank is a 29. I use homemade root tabs in the substrate and a bit of liquid fertilizer Flourish and Potassium.

Dwarf sag is very different from tears. Tears is pretty needy. I like easy plants. Not too high demand on light and no CO2.

Junglefowl has a great trident fern up for sale.

Ferns, Moss, Plants Package, Bucephalandra
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363130

Okay I have a plan now. I am going to get narrow leafed java ferns, pearlweed, and dwarf sag. I'll also get Seachem's Flourish. I think that the dwarf sag will be in the foreground and the other plants lined up in the background. Bushiest and biggest plants can go in the corners of the tank and the other plants fill in the gap. Good idea?

Sounds good. I’m not familiar with pearl weed. But anything named “weed” should be tough.

Sounds good. I’m not familiar with pearl weed. But anything named “weed” should be tough.

I'm getting Seachem Flourish, I don't think it will be too big of a challenge. Also, that pack had really deep roots, but my sand isn't very deep.

Back
Top Bottom