Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stocking?

Hello! I have a 10 gallon long with a 20 gallon sponge filter. I also have live plants and a sand substrate. My stocking currently is 7 neon tetras, and 2 mystery snails. I was wondering, how many kuhlis could I safety add? I know it's debated that kuhlis should be in a 20 gallon, but I think I am experienced and responsible enough to give them the proper care in a 10 gallon. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Your other post said you had 3 Neons and were concerned they were not active. Did you just add the Neons? They are notorious for carrying health issues.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Your other post said you had 3 Neons and were concerned they were not active. Did you just add the Neons? They are notorious for carrying health issues.

I added them. They are very healthy and active. They eat well and have encouraged my other neons to perk up.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would suggest you wait a month and see how they progress. You need more plants and cover for Khuliís to be happy. Get your plants established and rocks settled and then see if your set up can handle some Khuliís. They like wiggling through dwarf sag.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stocking?

Quote:
I would suggest you wait a month and see how they progress. You need more plants and cover for Khuliís to be happy. Get your plants established and rocks settled and then see if your set up can handle some Khuliís. They like wiggling through dwarf sag.

I was planning on getting Dwarf sag, hornwort, and pearlweed. Taller sag will fill in any empty gaps in between plants and decorations and horn wort and pearl weed will fill in space.
EDIT: I won't get hornwort. I heard it is hard to keep buried. And since kuhlis dig... they don't mix...
Old 12-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello! As well as a debate about neons being in a 10 gallon, there are debates about kuhli loaches being in a 10 gallon too. I am not calling you a beginner, but some beginners do not take into account the amount of movement some fish have. For example, some people say little endlers need 20 gallons because they are so active, but the larger guppies only need 10 gallons because they are less active. Back to the subject, I think your tank might be a little overstocked with the kuhlis. If I were you, I would either get rid of the neons or wait for some of them to pass on before getting the kuhlis. Your filtration capacity would be good. I recommend checking aquadvisor.com to check everything. However, aquadvisor is not the most accurate. You should always check with real people before getting fish unless you are a pro. If you still want to add kuhlis, I would go for 3 or 4. That would maximize the numbers of the group while still supporting the size of the tank. But, like I said earlier, I would highly reccomend waiting or getting rid of the neons. Happy fishkeeping!
Edit: I just saw the post about your neons being a little sick. I would wait a while just to make sure that the fungus is 100% gone because you don’t want to kill your entire tank. I hope that won’t happen though lol ��.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythologyFish View Post
Hello! As well as a debate about neons being in a 10 gallon, there are debates about kuhli loaches being in a 10 gallon too. I am not calling you a beginner, but some beginners do not take into account the amount of movement some fish have. For example, some people say little endlers need 20 gallons because they are so active, but the larger guppies only need 10 gallons because they are less active. Back to the subject, I think your tank might be a little overstocked with the kuhlis. If I were you, I would either get rid of the neons or wait for some of them to pass on before getting the kuhlis. Your filtration capacity would be good. I recommend checking aquadvisor.com to check everything. However, aquadvisor is not the most accurate. You should always check with real people before getting fish unless you are a pro. If you still want to add kuhlis, I would go for 3 or 4. That would maximize the numbers of the group while still supporting the size of the tank. But, like I said earlier, I would highly reccomend waiting or getting rid of the neons. Happy fishkeeping!

Thanks! I'll take this into account when i decide.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Stocking?

My Khuliís are fat and lazy. They forage around at a slow pace. Try to maximize your space. Donít just put things in there for them to hide under. They need plants to wiggle through. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	305587
The tall piece of wood the the left, they are up there in the Java fern all the time. It has a hollow below they get under. The rock on the right has a grapefruit size cave on the bottom they stay in most the time. The rock is centered in the tank with plants all around for them to wander through. They get up on top the rock and poke around too. The sand in the center front is planted with dwarf sag. They love it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513222211.033780.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	305588
Old 12-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
My Khuliís are fat and lazy. They forage around at a slow pace. Try to maximize your space. Donít just put things in there for them to hide under. They need plants to wiggle through. Attachment 305587
The tall piece of wood the the left, they are up there in the Java fern all the time. It has a hollow below they get under. The rock on the right has a grapefruit size cave on the bottom they stay in most the time. The rock is centered in the tank with plants all around for them to wander through. They get up on top the rock and poke around too. The sand in the center front is planted with dwarf sag. They love it. Attachment 305588

I know. Also, your tank is beautiful! I couldn't possibly make something that cool in a 10 gallon, but I will add more plant cover! Maybe a fake anemone they will like too!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I started out with a 5. Then went to 10, then 20, and now 29. You can do a lot with a 10.

This tank is only 4g. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513225776.695685.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	305589

Tags
stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com