Stocking 40 gallon help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have a 10 gallon tank that has 3 platys 6 neon tetras 2 ghost shrimp 1 mystery snail and 1 guppy and some fry which is obviously overcrowded.

So for Christmas my parents are buying me a 40 gallon standard and they told me to start brainstorming now so I can start cycling it on christmas day. Anyway I really want cichlids but I'm probably going to have to move the live bearers over so I'm looking to see any good cichlids that are compatible BESIDES rams (because rams are small and can only be kept alone)

I do not know a lot about cichlids but I know there are a few dwarf types, Apistos and Cockatoos come to mind though how compatible they would be I'm not sure.

I would suggest talking to some ram owners because I always hear mixed feelings on this. I know many on here keep a few rams in a tank, 2 is really not uncommon. I don't think their temperament will vary much from other dwarf cichlids though

I agree with tamtam. I don't know where you got the info about rams having to be kept alone. Small is good if you are trying to keep them with small fish like guppies. The larger cichlids will eat them. There are several dwarf/small cichlid species to choose from, I like apistos and n.anomala.

Yes, rams can be kept in community tanks. They make nice centerpiece fish. Apistos are very good centerpieces too. Maybe for some other fish look into larger tetras such as black skirt tetras.

Rams no problem in a community tank, I would actually recommend keeping smaller fish with them like Tetra and even a few of the smaller corydoras spieces as well. You could do Apistogrammas, German Rams, Bolivian Rams, Red Breast Acara's - lovely little fish, Nannacara,s all with other smaller dither fish, just as long as you don't do to many Cichlids ie keep them as a centrepiece pair and you will have a great tank.

jetajockey said:
I agree with tamtam. I don't know where you got the info about rams having to be kept alone. Small is good if you are trying to keep them with small fish like guppies. The larger cichlids will eat them. There are several dwarf/small cichlid species to choose from, I like apistos and n.anomala.

Someone on yahoo answers told me that. Anyway so your saying I can get multiple rams?

bud29 said:
Good rule of thumb: Yahoo answers is not a good place to go for fish info. There was a thread on this forum about the outrageous stuff people said on there. Here's a link:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/yahoo-answers-211355.html

Yes, you can keep two rams together and if you are lucky they will pair up:D

Amazing. You don't know how grateful I am right now. I've only kept discus when we had our 72 gallon. Don't know much about cichlids

So about how many rams are good if I were to add a few more platys and neon tetras and maybe a bamboo shrimp?

I would say get two rams. And be cautious with the shrimp as the rams may attack it. See how they treat your ghost shrimp. If they leave them alone, get the bamboo shrimp. If they eat the ghost shrimp, they don't cost much so it's not a terrible thing.

bud29 said:
I would say get two rams. And be cautious with the shrimp as the rams may attack it. See how they treat your ghost shrimp. If they leave them alone, get the bamboo shrimp. If they eat the ghost shrimp, they don't cost much so it's not a terrible thing.

Yes I agree thank you!

Back
Top Bottom