Stocking 40gal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is what I would like:

1- Green Phantom Pleco (L200)

5- Redline Sharks (Roseline Sharks)

10- Rummynose Tetras

Maybe some sort of shrimp (undecided)

I am interested in opinions for this! How does this look?

The Tank:

-Will be planted, maybe with C02
-Filter will be a Fluval 406 or 405 (can run an AC30 with as well)
-Lighting will probably be T5no or T5ho unknown yet
-Substrate is Floramax on the bottom, light layer of sand on top.
-Heater 100-150W (one of those)

Also want a possible carpet plant, any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

It's recommended to have the Denison Barbs (Roseline Sharks) in a 55gal or larger... or rather a 48 inch long tank since they require a lot of swimming room since they can get up to 6 inches long. However I think you can do 3 juveniles to start and see how it goes. Although a 40B is not as long as a 55gal it is 6 inches wider.

An alternative Barb to the Denison could be Odessa Barbs. The males ... which is what LFS's usually carry ... get a nice red color down the sides .. they can get up to 4inches long.

I have a 55gal tank they can move to when they get larger. Would it not be smart to have them all and grow them out for the 55?

How would Galaxy Danios do/ how many? If I had to replace the Denison Barbs. I really like the Denison tails though.

I have a 55gal tank they can move to when they get larger. Would it not be smart to have them all and grow them out for the 55?

How would Galaxy Danios do/ how many? If I had to replace the Denison Barbs. I really like the Denison tails though.

Ah ... well since you have a 55gal, and I'm assuming it's not stocked to capacity, then I'd say you can go for the 5 Denisons. I'd say once they get to the 3 inch length ... you'd want to rehome. My three Denions, 1x 3" and 2x 2.5" very quickly swim from one end to the other.

BTW ... Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Danios) I think would look great !! In a 40B with a 405 should be able to handle the fish you listed plus some CPD's.

Good Luck!

Yep my 55 will have the cardinals taken out (moving to a 20 long). So it would be 5 Denison Barbs, 9 cardinal tetras, and a sailfin pleco (which will be rehomed soon enough).

Wow nice! I was hoping it will be able to! How many CPDs should I have? 10 to match the Rummynoses?

Thanks for your help!

Stock:

1x L200 Plec
10x CPD
10x Rummynose Tetra
5x Roseline Shark

Assuming the L200 is a 6" Pleco , I'm not as familiar with plecos, I'd say your list looks good to me.

Yep they dont get much bigger than that. I wanted one for a 40gal or less aquarium. I also wanted an L128 Blue Phantom but I thought 2 would be too many unless I went species only. Maybe when the Roselines grow up:)

BTW ... I'm also assuming you know Denison's are on the expensive side ... up to $25 or so for one. However, I've seen them for as little as around $15 in Petland Discounts. Doesn't beat the unbelievable price of $3.00 I paid for one in Petsmart some months ago, BUT, the more I think about it, I'm convinced it MUST have been a pricing screwup on their part. I haven't seen them carry them since.

Cost aside, I think Denison Barbs are absolutely gorgeous fish!! In the link below is a thread where I have a pic of my three ... go to the last page of the thread. Think of it as motivation for yours.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/pics-of-my-barbs-157288-3.html

Good Luck!!

Wow those are nice! Yep I realized the price so they may be in or out, though I definately want them! This is going to be my last tank for a long time so I want it to be the best of the ones I own.

The L200 is not cheap either lol 40-50$ for one.

Do you have c02 in the tank?

Thank you.

Nope ... honestly my current bulb really wouldn't qualify me for CO2 ... LOL. I have a 75gal tank with a single 32watt T8 bulb. As you could imagine, I only have low light plants. I doubt they're getting enough light for the photosynthesis to take much advantage of any DIY / pressurized CO2.

The plants in my pics have pretty much been CO2 free ... except for the normal atmospheric CO2, but I've been doing Seachem Root tabs and Comprehensive so I feel that's helped keep them alive. The only plants growing are my Crypts Wendtii.

I have however in the last 2 weeks started to dose Excel ... figure a little extra Carbon can't hurt. Besides, I'm looking at a dual T5HO fixture .. so some more CO2 will probably be in my future.

Those L200 don't come cheap eh? Better make sure that 40B is in a safe spot, between the 5 Denison's and the L200 ... your looking at what? ... $150- $200 in fish? It's my nightmare that a diecast medal toy goes flying across the room SMACK right at my tank:facepalm:

BTW ... if getting 5 Denisons stretches your budget, you could honestly do 3. I know sources say they do best in a shoal of 5+ ... in that they show their "true" behavior, but honestly my 3 act just like Denisons in larger shoals I've seen in LFS's and online videos. I've read they're one of the few Barbs that could be solo in a community tank.

Yep its in my room away from everyone else on a safe and secure tank. I also plan on setting up a qt tank out of a ten gallon.

This will be my first c02 tank so I was just wondering. My other two tanks dont have c02 but grow but this tank will probably need the c02 with the different plants and lighting I want. I do dose excel on those thanks as well just not too much.

Possibly over $200 due to shipping from multiple places. L200 will have to be special ordered due to availablity as well. I may go with three, I like the look of three fish swimming in a group.

Sounds like your all set .. the 40B I think is a great tank size. Big enough to give you some stocking options, but small enough that it doesn't dominate a whole wall. I've said it before, 40B and 75E are the ideal tank sizes.

BTW, the Green spot looks like a cool pleco. I wasn't a big fan of Pleco's but in the last few months I do find myself noticing them more and more.

Good luck, post pics!

Thanks will do! I used to be the same with plecos too.

Thats also the main reason I bought this tank lol it was perfect. I dont like deep thin tanks.

Last night, for the first time, I saw some Denison Barb's in a LFS's "NOT For Sale" tank.

There were incredible to watch - beautiful fish!

I was informed they are $30.00 each when they have them....

Last night, for the first time, I saw some Denison Barb's in a LFS's "NOT For Sale" tank.

There were incredible to watch - beautiful fish!

I was informed they are $30.00 each when they have them....

That price sounds about right.

Every once in a while Petsmart, Petland Discounts or Petco will have them at reduced prices. $15 and down .. my petsmart once had them for $3.29 each. I've only seen a shoal of them in small LFS tanks. I would love to see about 10 of them in a 125gal to really appreciate them.

That price sounds about right.

Every once in a while Petsmart, Petland Discounts or Petco will have them at reduced prices. $15 and down .. my petsmart once had them for $3.29 each. I've only seen a shoal of them in small LFS tanks. I would love to see about 10 of them in a 125gal to really appreciate them.

I'll DEFINETLY be watching for these locally for sale.....

I just told my daughter last night on the way home from the LFS (where I saw the Denison's) that I would LOVE to have a 125 gallon with 15 of these fish. They would be so beautfiul schooling in a large group in lot's of water - how ironic that you mention 10 in 125 gallon.....

Back
Top Bottom