Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirBubbly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a ten gallon with naturally colored gravel, driftwood and soon to be planted. i also already have a male betta and a balloon molly, that will be moving in there. what else could i put in there? i was considering some pygmy cory cats.

In all honesty, do not put the molly in there. They need a tank of at least 20 gal. They are far too active to be in a 10 gal tank. That said, check out this link for a compatibility chart.

You don't HAVE to. But he would be happier in a 20 gal tank. Mollies are way too active for a 10 gal. But that's just my opinion. I had to give up my male molly recently because I had him in a 10 gal. :( sad.

Welcome to AA! :multi:

It is true that a balloon molly likes a lot of swimming room.

But... let me tell you about my experience. I had a 30 gallon tank of malawi cichlids that was way overstocked and too small for 'em. People here on AA kept telling me that they needed more room. I looked at the links they provided and concluded that I should find them better homes. I advertised the fish and a woman said she'd buy 3 of them. After I gave them to her I asked what size tank she had. It was a 30 gallon. 8O I gave the rest to the LFS. The guy put them in a tank and I watched all the other fish in the tank bully and attack my fish. :sad: I felt just terrible. I felt like I had betrayed my fish. They weren't in better homes. :bawl: I wonder if they'd have been better off staying with me even if they were overcrowded. I still miss them.

Since you have Hoover, keep him. He sounds like a cool fish. 8) Giving him back to the LFS won't guarentee him a better home. In all other ways you will take the best care of Hoover. You have him in a lovely planted tank and he'll do ok. Maybe keep the tank lightly stocked so he won't feel crowded.

As far as other fish, I like cory cats the most. They'd love a planted tank. I got some pygmy cats but because they were so small, I could hardly see them against a natural substrate. :| Get maybe 3 regular sized corys.

good luck
coolchinchilla

You may be able to cram the molly in there, but it doesn't mean that he will thrive. They need more swimming space than a 10 has to offer. I watched mine try to swim in the 10 gal tank and he would swim quickly and then have to stop suddenly because he was at the glass. Then turn around and try to swim further, and hit glass. not pretty. He was surviving, but not thriving. You never know, he could go to a good home. If you do give him up, take him to a reputable lfs.

FF, you are right about a molly in a 10 gallon. It's just that SirBubbly has given the molly a name and keeps a pic of him in her/his signature. 8) That molly is a pet, not just an extra fish to take back to the LFS. As far as a newbie stocking schemes, it's not too bad. :? It's not like having a jack dempsey and a pleco in a 10 gallon, so that's why I think we can be more encouraging.

well. if you think of it, balloon mollies are classified as platies. im pretty sure

Well I'm not really a newbie to this hobby... i've been a member of fishforums for a long time and i have like 115 posts or something. I have had other tanks and i research about fish pretty much every day.some People on that forum and some webs said he would be fine. so did my LFS. i geuss i should have known not to trust them though. Secondly I would return him but yes i do love the little guy and also i fear he would be put into a smaller tank that is not stocked or taken properly care of. The same day i was there another lady was buying some to put in her 2 gallon. Im sorta surrownded by bad fish keepers my friends have kept goldfishes in bowls 8O and some of my cousins... they were the worst. So i tend to not to trust people. Also balloon mollys were what got me into this whole thing, when i first saw one at my LFS i thought "that is the coolest fish i have ever seen" so ever sense then i have been a tad bit obsessive. But i do not want to upset my fish, however i cant really afford a larger tank at this time, nor do i have the room for it. But I'll start saving my money to try and buy at least a 20 gallon. Because i really do hate the thought that i am messing up his little fishy life. maybe i'll even get him some ladies. :wink:

Oh no. :D No ladies. Ask Puiriti. You will have fry in no time. Then you'll be posting: What can I do with all these fry? :)

Ha. yes i know i would have fry, i just thought i could let them fend for themselves, mwah ha ha, im sure my betta would love that... no jk i probably wouldnt be able to do that, i'd feel to guilty.

I agree mollies need more room then a 10 gallon, however if you already have the fish and it already has a name, I'd vote for keeping it. Tons of people keep them in 10 gallons......That doesn't mean it's right but if you take your pet Hoover back to the store chances are he will be sold to someone who will cram him along with 5 more in a 10 gallon anyway. If you had an oscar then I would agree that he needs to go back but a molly in a 10 gallon isn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom