Stocking 70gal communtity tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is what I had planned for my 70gal, that finally went through the cycle now:

3 Pitbull Plecos
6-8 Amano Shrimps
1 pair Colisa lalia
1 pair German Blue Ram
10 Cardinal or Neon tetras (still couldn't decide yet)
2 pairs "orig." Endlers (yes, I hope they will get more)
1 pair Sparkling gourami/Licorice Gourami

Does that sound alright? Would you see any problems? Would you make anything different (except for making like a Malawi tank out of it :wink: ).

sounds to me like you will have fun!
your selection should be nice and peaceful community "but more cardinals" they look very nice in schools of 30 or more.
0X

As long as they really school, they will probably look better in a large group.

I'm just wondering if the Cardinals will be more willing to school the bigger the group gets? Has anyone made any experience with that?

Or does it really just depend on the predator fish and swimming space?

I have 14 serpae tetras, 2 golden barbs and 5 odessa barbs.. and they school together.. but it isn't a super tight school like the ones you see with neons.

In a tank that big, you might be okay with that many gouramis. It really depends on individual temperments. Either you will have one dwarf chase the other.. or the sparkling chasing the others... but like a said, with enough hiding and swimming room you might be okay- but its definatly something you want to keep an out on.

So in your opinion it would be better maybe to have another pair of dwarf chiclids?

I have enough swimming space/plants to hide but I don't want fish to stress out. I know dwarf gouramis can cause stress anyway. The one I got here is still single so far and arrived at my tank yesterday, but today I've already got a bubble nest in the corner :roll: .

I think one dwarf gourami would be good as opposed to the pair. But thats just based on the expierence ive had with them in a significantly smaller tank (29gal)

But most times the male is acting worse and and more agressive than the female. And like I said right now, he's building a bubble nest alread (and that although he's still single).

Tonight I will get my Endlers, some pure ones, from a local hobbyist I've found :mrgreen: .

So would it be better to have another pair gouramis (pygmy) or a pair of dwarf cichlids? Or just nothing? I can't decide myself :( !

I'd go for cardinals, and more of them, 20+ imo cardinals are much nicer than neon, brighter, more colourful and larger... I keep 15 (i think), in my small 20gal tank and they shoal nicely, sometimes they'll scatter slightly but generally theyre pretty tight...

Have you considered 'Harlequin Rasbora' i've not kept them but i've seen them and they appear to be tight schoolers, if thats the right word!

I definitely like Neons or Cardinals better then most other schooling fishes due to their color 8O . I was just wondering if they will school closer being in a lager group? Anyone very experienced the difference?

So you think I would have enough space in my aquarium for 20+ Tetras plus enough space for endler fry??

Besides, somebody out there with an opinion whether I should go with another pair of dwarf-cichlids or pygmy gouramis?

if you hang on with the cardinals a week or two i'll let you know, i'm planning on about 40-50 for a tank i'm setting up at the mo...

i have no knowledge of endlers or their fry so can't comment on that :( sorry...

i prefer dwarf cichlids over gouramis... just personal opinion :)

I wouldn't get neons because you wouldn't believe how quickly another fish could eat them. Always remember- if a fish can fit into another fishes mouth, it can and will become dinner. As far as color- have you seen serpae tetras and like mentioned harlequin rasboras? Those both are really pretty colorful fish.

I would suggest to stock your tank, minus any additonal dwarf gouramis or cichlids and give yourself time to decide then. Maybe you will love your blue rams so much you will want another pair... or something like that.

Having a stocking list is a great idea, but as you go along it can be tweeked and changed. So get the fish you definatly want... and then give yourself more time to figure out what else you want.

Back
Top Bottom