Stocking a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kchung5299

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a vertical 10 gallon tank. What I was thinking of doing is putting in 3 cherry barbs and a few guppies. Maybe even a platy or two. I also have a betta in there and was torn whether to keep him there or not with them. Also, I was wondering what I should put in the bottom. The tank dimensions are 13in x 13in x 18 in (lxwxh) and i have a fake plant in the center that reaches to the top and a narrow leaf java fern but I want more because it looks so bare. Plus, it will give the fish a hiding spot.

-Kevin

10 gallon sadly doesn't give you many options. The fact it's narrow makes it a bit harder too as most fish really do best with horizontal swimming space.

If you remove the betta where would he be moved to?

Cherry barbs and platy wouldn't be a good fit for that tank. The cherries would be best in something like a 20 with more space and a better footspace. They also are schoolers so you need more than 3. 5-6 at least.

You could do some guppies. like 5 but I would not keep them with the betta. They are generally not a good match.

So I'd either just keep the Betta alone, maybe add a snail or 2 or rehome him if you have a proper place and go with just the guppies, you could do snails with them fine too.

As for decor some more would be great. Usually I put the highest stuff at the back and stagger it to the front. It's really up to you what you want and what look you are going for but some more fake plants certainly won't hurt and you fish will appreciate it. Though if the betta stays be aware of what goes with him, anything with sharp edges can catch his fins.

Yeah... I know it doesn't give many options, it kinda sucks. Its an old tank my mom got YEARS ago as a present. So maybe just a tank of guppies and maybe breeding them in there. I also have a 55 gallon with plentiful of fish, plants, and decor. But its a community tank with 9 guppies, 13 neon tetras(I love them but how come they dont school together anymore?) 4 platies, 2 Long-finned red minor tetras, 3 black skirts, 2 zebra danios, and last but not least, a clown pleco. I was thinking of putting 3 otocinclus. Can I put a few cherry barbs in there?

And about the 10 gallon tank, what can I put in there besides guppies?

kchung5299 said:
Yeah... I know it doesn't give many options, it kinda sucks. Its an old tank my mom got YEARS ago as a present. So maybe just a tank of guppies and maybe breeding them in there. I also have a 55 gallon with plentiful of fish, plants, and decor. But its a community tank with 9 guppies, 13 neon tetras(I love them but how come they dont school together anymore?) 4 platies, 2 Long-finned red minor tetras, 3 black skirts, 2 zebra danios, and last but not least, a clown pleco. I was thinking of putting 3 otocinclus. Can I put a few cherry barbs in there?

It kinda sucks it's a 10 gallon high tank. Any way you could get a normal 'long' 10 gallon? IMO, guppies are overrated. But if you are set on them, get all males. Even lone females can store sperm and well, you can figure out what's next. Look into harlequin rasboaras. Neal little fish. As for your neons not schooling anymore, just a guess here, they are in a large enough group so they are more comfortable also more relaxed.

Cherry barbs would be fine with what you have in your community. If you go with otos I would do a few more than just 3. They are pretty difficult fish and don't handle stress well. Giving them a few more will help reduce their stress.

As for the 10, there are some nano fish that would do well I think. They can be a little hard to come across though. Ember Tetras, Celestial Pearl Danios. Dwarf puffers maybe though I'm not certain on the fact it's such a tall tank.

The neons probably don't school because they feel comfortable in your tank. Schooling is a natural instinct for them when they feel threatened and they probably feel safe in your tank.

Thanks for the info. Next time I go to petsmart, I'll get a few cherry barbs and one or two more otos.

Is it possible to set the 10 gallon as a semi-aggressive tank?

Thanks for the info. Next time I go to petsmart, I'll get a few cherry barbs and one or two more otos.

Is it possible to set the 10 gallon as a semi-aggressive tank?

The only aggressive fish I know that may be ok are the dwarf puffers.

I don't know if killifish are aggressive but most species do good in 10g species only tanks.

Back
Top Bottom