Stocking a 10gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a 10 gallon fish tank. Apparently I'm not getting any glofish. So I was wondering what kind of fish I should get.

Maybe guppys , Mollys , platys. Maybe even red cherry shrimp tank.

I've had mollies and platys before. I've gotten bored with them. I was thinking some thing interesting. I like the idea of a shrimp tank:)

Shrimp tank for sure. You have a lot of options with shrimp. Most people start with rcs as they are pretty hardy and can withstand a lot of beginner mistakes and they are available at a reasonable price.

Plus they are entertaining, how many other animals can eat, rub their face and scratch their back all at the same time?

Lol. Could I still put some fish in there with them?

Definitely. You could put a betta in there if you wanted, although it may eat the shrimp (it depends on it's personality. each one is different). You could have the shrimp and a school of nano fish like chili rasboras, pygmy cories, bumblebee gobies, and galaxy rasboras.
^note-the above species are all ideas, and you could probably only do a combination of two of these with shrimp. But not all possible combinations would necessarily work.

You can, but your stocking options are limited since its a 10 gallon, you may just want to stick to the guppies or possibly a betta as a focal piece for the aquarium. I previously had my fiances betta in with my red cherries (rcs) and then moved him with my blue pearls once the rcs started having babies. The betta was too curious about my blue pearls so now he has his own 10 gallon.

I'm not the right person to ask about fish but I'm more than happy to help with any shrimp questions (at least the ones I have an answer to : ))

Depending on the fish you want providing hiding places for the shrimp and eventual shrimplets can go from beneficial to crucial. I have 6 dedicated shrimp tanks mainly because i like to see them swim and be active, fish, well some, force the shrimp to hide, which for me defeats the purpose of having shrimp.

IMO shrimp-safe fish that will fit in a ten gallon are celestial pearl danios (a little expensive but very colorful alternative if you still wanted something like glofish), ember tetras, chilli rasboras, green neon tetras, pygmy cories, and sparkling gouramis.

I would also like to just get them from a petstore. I don't really want to order fish online.

Ezimmer1990 said:
Can they go in a tank with shrimp?
Probably. Hatchets like to stay at the top of the tank. There's a chance they might never even see the shrimp.

Chili rasboras, guppies, pygmy cories, most small schooling fish that are an inch or shorter... Unless it's danios or tetras

Ezimmer1990 said:
Where could I get raspboras?

You could find them online or you could special order them fom the fish store if they don't carry them.

Neon tetras are iffy when it comes to ten gallon tanks. Some say they can fit, others say they don't. You'd have to get more opinions on that.

Back
Top Bottom