Stocking a 16 Widescreen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448926440.643013.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448926461.893605.jpg Male ramImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448926538.058906.jpg female at the top begging for food ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448926574.187772.jpg The two weird bulb things ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448926638.977131.jpg both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

GBR played eggs last night! Female had her tube showing for a couple days, was kinda surprised it didn't happen earlier. They look kinda grayish-greenish color, kinda opaque. Fertilized???? Male and female switch off guarding the eggs, cool to see. No eggs that have been eaten yet, hope to it stays that way. This is the 3rd spawn, 3rd times the charm right? Nothing we can do but wait and see! :)

GBR played eggs last night! Female had her tube showing for a couple days, was kinda surprised it didn't happen earlier. They look kinda grayish-greenish color, kinda opaque. Fertilized???? Male and female switch off guarding the eggs, cool to see. No eggs that have been eaten yet, hope to it stays that way. This is the 3rd spawn, 3rd times the charm right? Nothing we can do but wait and see! :)

They could be fertile, but don't be surprised if these get eaten too. Rams, even wild ones aren't known to be fantastic parents and the fact that fry are really independent and constantly wander off doesn't help.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They could be fertile, but don't be surprised if these get eaten too. Rams, even wild ones aren't known to be fantastic parents and the fact that fry are really independent and constantly wander off doesn't help.

Yeah, I won't really be surprised if they do get eaten. Right now there all still on the leaf though. Maybe I'll move the next batch to a container and see if I can artificially raise them. I wish they would lay on the clay pot bottom, it would make them much easier to remove.

Yeah, I won't really be surprised if they do get eaten. Right now there all still on the leaf though. Maybe I'll move the next batch to a container and see if I can artificially raise them. I wish they would lay on the clay pot bottom, it would make them much easier to remove.

:popcorn:

Aaaaaannnnnddddd drum roll please.........

They ate them. Some fish are just really smart and have the best survival instincts. He is really stressing her to the point where she has her fins clamped and has lost almost all color. I don't get it, they were fine together before. If they spawn again I think I'll put the eggs in a container floating in the tank over an air stone, pretty much like Sini's set up. Hopefully they do get a 4th spawn, and hopefully I can get some wigglers!

Spawned again! On the amazon leaf again. I think I'm going to separate these this time, see who it goes. My setup will be a floating plastic container in the tank to maintain a stable temperature. I'll have an air stone set up under the leaf to keep them under constant flow. Got some Hydrogen Peroxide from the medicine drawer, didn't have to pay anything and don't have any methylene blue on hand. It's 3%, will this work? I'm aware that I have to dose daily, I'm fine with it. How much do I have to dose daily? Really hope I can get some wigglers :)

Ok so i should update on the eggs:

I got wigglers today! Really happy. Just unclear right now on what I need to do, if I have to move them today to the 10 or if I can leave them in the container for a few days. Also confused on when I should start feeding. I'll be gone until the 23rd, so hopefully they'll be fine alone till then.

If they just hatched today, you should be ok. I believe that they don't become free swimming for 5-7 days and at that point they will require 3-5 feedings a day.

So heres a big update on the GBR wigglers

Came home late last night, saw that they were all free swimming :) Fed them some frozen bbs. This morning I siphoned about 2.5 gallons from the 16 into a 10 and moved the free swimmers over. Have the air stone, small heater and some plastic plants in there right now along with some salvinia minima and duckweed that was taking over the 5.5, figured it would help with water quality. Fed some Kens Golden Pearls and frozen bbs today, Kens seemed a bit too big even when crushed between two spoons. Probably going to use them when they're a bit bigger. I have some lights on the 10, shouldn't affect them except for heating the water right? Will I be able to see a notable size difference by the end of the week or does it take them a bit longer to grow?

Tank wise everything is fine. Plants are doing great, one of the crypts is throwing daughter plants everywhere. Shrimp are doing fine, although 1 is MIA. That's the one I moved over from the 5.5
Adult rams are showing signs of spawning again, cleaning areas and full coloration plus hanging out together. Saw the females tube a couple times today. Ill probably let them have this batch so I can focus on the free swimmers at hand. Who knows, they might surprise me and raise the fry themselves. Ill post pics tomorrow, got to get some sleep to recover from yesterday and don't really want to disturb the babies/fish.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay so some pics as promised:

FTS
img_3322544_0_1d79f7c2c99083e9c57bdf80c6f5b03f.jpg

Female
img_3322544_1_a4f4d7995c213936b618ad54459174ec.jpg

Male
img_3322544_2_9a064949dfe050a4e63b9702cfeab619.jpg

Big Crypt
img_3322544_3_9d0ebf29641477ba49acb109aaf76c7f.jpg

Top Shot
img_3322544_4_ffbe2927b92284358d1bfa388220f5a7.jpg

Fry Pics
img_3322544_5_bb72c5e677883fc368ce42466b9c6981.jpg

Nice! Everything looks amazing!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom