Stocking A 20g/ Gourami Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have panda corys in my 20 Long and I think they are so cool looking, and fun to watch lol. I had a dwarf blue flame gourami his name was gimli and I loved him to death any time I put my hand in the tank to rearrange things or just for fun he would come up and nibble at my arm, wasn't scared at all lol. Unfortunately the other day somehow he got stuck behind my breeder net and passed :( his tank mates were corys, guppys, and a hillstream loach (sting ray pleco which ever name you prefer) which is pretty awesome and stays small as well, anyway never had any issues with him and plan on getting another this weekend :)

I have panda corys in my 20 Long and I think they are so cool looking, and fun to watch lol. I had a dwarf blue flame gourami his name was gimli and I loved him to death any time I put my hand in the tank to rearrange things or just for fun he would come up and nibble at my arm, wasn't scared at all lol. Unfortunately the other day somehow he got stuck behind my breeder net and passed :( his tank mates were corys, guppys, and a hillstream loach (sting ray pleco which ever name you prefer) which is pretty awesome and stays small as well, anyway never had any issues with him and plan on getting another this weekend :)
Do the hillstream loaches have to have a powerhead?

Mine seems to be doing great with just my filter and bubbler. Although I did rig my filter to sit up higher from the water and its rated for a 30 or 40g I can't remember off hand.

DG Blues are really cool, its the plan when I get one. The hillstream loachs ive seen online but can't find any at any of my LFS. :( I think they are really awesome I would really love to have one if I can find any.

I had never seen one until I found "my" LFS (which is the only place I will buy fish now). I was told to keep the water well oxygenated.

With DG from what I have researched some say that they like larger tetras with them, others say it does not matter. Wondering if anyone has a thought on this or any exp. If I get smaller tetras with a DG would there be a issue? Or does it depend on the aggression of the tetras?
I do like the Phantom Tetras if they would be alright with a DG. :)

With DG from what I have researched some say that they like larger tetras with them, others say it does not matter. Wondering if anyone has a thought on this or any exp. If I get smaller tetras with a DG would their be a issue? Or does it depend on the aggression of the tetras?
I do like the Phantom Tetras if they would be alright with a DG. :)
When in got my pair of Kribs, they were always hiding in the cave, afraid to come out. In the wild, when no fish are out and about, it is a sign that a predator is around and everyone is afraid. With a school of tetras schooling around, I have xrays with my pair, it gives them the confidence that things are safe and they begin to show themselves. The term for those fish are dither fish.

I had two dwarf gouramis in my 40gal with black phantom tetras, harlequin rasboras, sterbai corys, cardinal tetras and about 10-15 rcs, the gouramis were great with all the other fish, the problem they had was with each other, the male would constantly bully the female, I then took the male out and the female let everyone else in the tank know how she was feeling by chasing and nipping every thing that moved. I've now got rid of both male and female and replaced them with 2 baby angels which get along with everyone :) I hope you have better luck with your DGs

When in got my pair of Kribs, they were always hiding in the cave, afraid to come out. In the wild, when no fish are out and about, it is a sign that a predator is around and everyone is afraid. With a school of tetras schooling around, I have xrays with my pair, it gives them the confidence that things are safe and they begin to show themselves. The term for those fish are dither fish.

I did not know that term. Very interesting thanks, always learning new things about fish everyday. :D I do plan on getting a school of tetras for the tank so hopfully they wont be shy lol.

I had two dwarf gouramis in my 40gal with black phantom tetras, harlequin rasboras, sterbai corys, cardinal tetras and about 10-15 rcs, the gouramis were great with all the other fish, the problem they had was with each other, the male would constantly bully the female, I then took the male out and the female let everyone else in the tank know how she was feeling by chasing and nipping every thing that moved. I've now got rid of both male and female and replaced them with 2 baby angels which get along with everyone :) I hope you have better luck with your DGs

I hope for no fighting, they better get along lol. But im thinking of a school of either black or red Phantoms (still just a thought tank is still cycleing...:whistle:).

Woooooooo!!! My Tank finally Cycled... now the part thats the hardest.... The Fish... :blink:

:fish2:

Have been furiously reading trying to get to the last page! Sounds like it's going well for you, I've had several different types of gourami, opaline, dwarf blue, and gold and had good success with most. I tried two gold and that was BAD for me. Eventually had to ship them out. I have kept them with black neon tetras, flame tetras, cherry barbs, and larger fish. I really like the flame tetras and black neons, they school nicely and seem to give the gourami "security". I have read that the dwarf blue gourami will allow itself to be bullied to death, so I guess any fin nipper would be a problem, but it sounds like you have a good plan so good luck and post some pics when you get the fishes! :popcorn: oh and sorry for the book.

Haha yeah bit of a long thread, but I will deffiently post pics as soon as I start putting in fish. Going to start slow few at a time and get the DG last after the tank has been fully running for a few weeks. :)

Thanks!!! Everyone that has given advice and help, ill post a last stocking list as soon as I have it set.
:thanks:

Right now:
1 DG (possibly Blue or Flame)
5 or 6 Tetras (phantoms?)
3 Cories (Green)

If anyone still has any suggestions/info let me know! :D

Some pics of the start of stocking... right now just for a start:

4 Zebra Danios
5 Ghost Shrimp (got one extra guy at the LFS couldn't count)

And yes thats a castle... ugh I had to get it to make some people happy...... Wish it was some rocks or driftwood (few weeks then castle has to go lol) The shrimp do like it though lol

img_1571305_0_a88ca787eb73f72b252cf73ab12d1170.jpg

img_1571305_1_2d7c8450e233c74e958a95a5729e6aa9.jpg

Hey Andy, I've been reading to catch up on your thread. I've had a Opaline for a good 4 months now and it's been fine. I love it, great color and personality. I even keep it with a school of Tiger Barbs. Every once in a while it'll chase them but no harm is done. I like your shrimp by the way.

Hey Andy, I've been reading to catch up on your thread. I've had a Opaline for a good 4 months now and it's been fine. I love it, great color and personality. I even keep it with a school of Tiger Barbs. Every once in a while it'll chase them but no harm is done. I like your shrimp by the way.

Well thank you very much Mr. Pleco. :brows: Very nice, would deffiently like a pic of your Opaline if you don't mind. ;)

Yep thats the main shrimp alright hes the best because he was free.

Danios have been removed... Too much fin nipping going on in the tank with them. And the tank has changed a bit... Pics will be up soon. Currently now stocked with:

- 6 Pristella tetras = very nice fish
- 2 Juili Cories
- 1 Panda tetra (he jumped in the bag at the LFS and guy said to just have him on the house lol)
- 8? Ghost shrimp (not sure theres a few lol)

A DG is in the picture in a few weeks after tank has been going for awhile, and in future plans... with a bigger tank getting a school of neon tetras with the DG anyone have any exp with this or know if they would be alright together?

Thanks

Yes, they'll be fine. I have 20 neon's with two DG's in my 125 and the get along fine. They were in my 20L and had no problems there either. Only thing I'd worry about with the neons is them getting stuck to your filter intake lol. They don't get very big so it's easy for them to get sucked up. Lost a few that way.

lol very cool, deffiently will watch out for any neons in the filter haha! Was just worried that if the DG got alittle agressive might see them as dinner one night, but I guess its the filter thats more of the eater... haha.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom