Stocking a 21L (5.5gal) aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I need some advice on stocking a 21L (5gal) aquarium,
I was going to stock it with five neon tetras, a couple cherry shrimp and a snail, I would heat this aquarium, I also have a 21 litre with two small comets and a snail so I have some gear for the new aquarium.
I wanted to know if this was a good stock for this tank, it is based off some tanks on youtube and other forums that are the same size.

IMHO: The only thing enjoyable to stock in a 5 gallon tank is a betta... perhaps with some snails and/or shrimp.

The minimum suggested size of a school of neon tetras is 6... and with 5 you're already pushing stock limits. (Live Aquaria lists 10 gallons as the minimum tank size for neons)

If i added live plants, would it be okay? if i HAD to stock with these fish, would it be ok? could i connect my two tanks to add more fish?

No. It would not. It's not just about water quality but swimming room. A five gallon is tiny, and not enough room for neons. Those goldfish absolutely shouldn't be in that size tank and I certainly would not link them together. Please get suitable fish for that size aquariums, or aquariums in sizes suitable for the fish you want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom