Stocking a 240 community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stewy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, for those of you have not read my previous threads, I am in the process of getting a new tank rolling. I picked up a 240 gallon for a steal of a price and love it because I have dreamed of having a tank this size for some time. The problem is that I will not be setting this tank up the way I have dreamed for at least a couple of years. I bought a 60 gallon about two years ago because my son who is now nearly five loves fish and asked me if we could get a tank. It was perfect excuse because I was just looking for a reason to get another tank after about five years without one. He had a blast with me setting up the previous tank and loved all of the fish we had. Then I found the beast and have had to start over. Because the last tank was “His”, he now wants a lot of the same type of fish and being the good father…I am going to go along with the program for the time being instead of setting up my dream cichlid tank. In a few years it will be fair game when he loses interest.

So…now the fun part. He loves guppies, swordtails and neons (of course). So a peaceful large community is the name of the game. My goal with this is to not be able to look at any portion of the tank and not see fish. My current stocking ideas keep changing and so I am asking for some ideas because I am indecisive.

My plan so far is as follows:

20-30 japanese red grass or albino full red guppies (going to be expensive but I am going to get good stock)
10-20 neons
20 harlequin rasboras
20 salt and pepper corydoras
6 german blue rams

This is about 40-50% of the stock as far as I can tell so I have a lot of room to play with. Now what else do I add? Open to suggestion and looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say. The only other fish that I am leaning pretty hard on is the Roseline Shark (Denisoni Barb). With what I have mentioned above, how would you complete my stock? Thank you all as I have come to appreciate the information that you have all given in the past.

Wow, I mean you have a lot of wiggle room here. I'd be going nuts with what I was going to fill it with. I'm not going to sit around and think about stocking because it hurts my head, but I'd toss in some rainbow fish and I'm a sucker for loaches.

You should try to talk him to cichlids show him videos of them he will fall in love with cichlids. That 240 gallon is perfect!

Also
I don't know if it's just me but a community tank that large I would do a very large school of fish
Like a school of 50 but it's your tank of coarse.
Very jealous of your tank.
Good luck an you have a lucky son!

Also
I don't know if it's just me but a community tank that large I would do a very large school of fish
Like a school of 50 but it's your tank of coarse.
Very jealous of your tank.
Good luck an you have a lucky son!

It is funny that you mention this, I was kind of kicking around the idea of throwing in a bunch more Harleys. It is something that I am considering though I still would like to get a couple bigger fish in there. Nothing monster of course but I need something else and I can not figure out what. I was pondering Pearl Gourami's but I am not sure.

I would up the schools of the Neons and Harlequins to 30 each. Would look stunning and in a large tank you will want larger schools.

Loaches and Cory Cats will get along fine.

Are you wanting more schooling fish or a few larger fish?

I think this idea is way cooler than a cichlid tank. Cichlids are done all the time. I did the same with a 75 gallon. A large school of 20 - 30 cherry barbs would do well. A few silver mollies would look cool to up the neons to about 50.

A quarantine tank is a must. I lost my whole set up that I was working I for years because I accidentally introduced some cardinals with ich. Small fish like that don't do well with meds and I lost the whole bunch.

If you go community fish I would get larger fish like, clown loaches, Denison Barbs, Royal Pleco, silver dollars, Baka sharks etc.

I am such a big fan of loaches. Got a shoal of zebra loaches and they are just all over the place. Think your child would love watching them. Mine live with a school of panda Cory's with no problems at all

If you do get khulis or corydoras I hope you are going to use sand.
My khulis are in with black sand and they stand out against it and they spend a lot of their time in the sand as well.

Oooh a 240, I'm so envious!
I vote a nice school of rainbows, like Boesemani. I just love them.
An Angelfish or two!
Oooh the possibilities are endless

Oooh a 240, I'm so envious!
I vote a nice school of rainbows, like Boesemani. I just love them.
An Angelfish or two!
Oooh the possibilities are endless

I was considering both the Bosemani's and the Angel's however my son is set on the guppies. I worry about the Angel's for aggression and have decided against rainbows for speed and competition with food. Unfortunately I have crossed both off of the list for now. I like the Harlequins better so I am thinking I am going to avoid the neons if I can and add a large group of the Harleys and if I decide to add another large school maybe Rummynose Tetra's. I am still undecided but I DO want at least a couple larger fish. Any Ideas? Like I said above, the best option that has been brought up so far is Pearl Gourami's and I am not sure that they are the look I want for the tank. The unfortunate part is that with most of the other stock I am looking at, most larger fish are not going to work.

Mollies were also mentioned and I have decided no Mollies or Platy's. I am considering some blood red swordtails or maybe some marigold swords to add some of the colors that I was looking for. I know that they are a little larger but they still aren't really a large centerpiece fish like I am looking for. I may just have to say no go on the larger fish and go with quantity and school presentation. I am liking the sounds of a Harlequin school at 50-60 strong more and more.

I was considering both the Bosemani's and the Angel's however my son is set on the guppies. I worry about the Angel's for aggression and have decided against rainbows for speed and competition with food. Unfortunately I have crossed both off of the list for now. I like the Harlequins better so I am thinking I am going to avoid the neons if I can and add a large group of the Harleys and if I decide to add another large school maybe Rummynose Tetra's. I am still undecided but I DO want at least a couple larger fish. Any Ideas? Like I said above, the best option that has been brought up so far is Pearl Gourami's and I am not sure that they are the look I want for the tank. The unfortunate part is that with most of the other stock I am looking at, most larger fish are not going to work.

Mollies were also mentioned and I have decided no Mollies or Platy's. I am considering some blood red swordtails or maybe some marigold swords to add some of the colors that I was looking for. I know that they are a little larger but they still aren't really a large centerpiece fish like I am looking for. I may just have to say no go on the larger fish and go with quantity and school presentation. I am liking the sounds of a Harlequin school at 50-60 strong more and more.

50-60 harlequins would be amazing!
Also I do have Rummynose Tetras in my tank and they never leave each others side so having a lot of those in a big group would be amazing as well.
I am going to get pearl gouramis for my community tank so that would probably be your best bet as you have said.

Roseline sharks?
They are so lovely.

They are on my list of possibilities for sure. It may end up being the largest and I know that they look good. With my large fish possibilities limited I think its going to be the roselines and the GBR's as the show piece fish in the tank unless I can come up with any other good ideas.

I second vote 50 fish shoal.
So many things you could get. Much easier to fill the bottom end of the tank at that size though.
Clown loaches are awesome and so characterful. Cory's are so cute.
Tiger barbs are nice and playful too. They rarely stop moving but may wreck havoc on guppy tails

I would go with clown loaches for the bottom they will do great with your small community fish. Plus they have loads of color and personality.

Back
Top Bottom