Stocking a 38g...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about kerri tetras (Inpaichthys kerri)? Beautiful little fish, but I'm not sure how widely available they are. They're quite popular and often available in my country but I've heard surprisingly little of them abroad.

Shayna said:
How about kerri tetras (Inpaichthys kerri)? Beautiful little fish, but I'm not sure how widely available they are. They're quite popular and often available in my country but I've heard surprisingly little of them abroad.

Hm, just looked those up on Google and they are quite pretty for a tetra. I need to get some because they have my name, lol, albeit a different spelling. :)

I'm going to chime in here because you have some great ideas Kristin. I absolutely LOVE my L-129 Scribble pleco (actually, exoticfinds.net sent me an L-316 Rio Jari pleo by accident, but hey, okay). He's so tiny and cute. They are carnivores and he does not touch my plants in my 29. I also like the Queen Arabesque! I'm thinking of getting one for my 55. I'm partial to Hypancistrus species of pleco because they are carnivorus and don't have the associated "poop" issues like other plecs.

The lemon tetras are a good idea, but I am totally loving the Cochu's blue tetras that I bought for my 55. These fish are not aggressive at all. There is a lot of incorrect info out there on them. I got mine at PetSmart, so if you can get your mitts on them, they are awesome. You could also do some Pearl Gouramis in that tank which would look great with your Harlies. I love my Opaline in my 29 with 10 harlies and 6 cherry barbs, but she's a girl and not aggressive at all.

Just my .02

The Kerri tetras are very pretty. I've never seen them here though, so I'd have to find some online. I'll definitely keep them in mind...they are nice.

Red, I totally forgot about the Conchu blues. I saw some at Petsmart a few months ago, so they probably still have them. Do you thing the 38g will be enough room for them? I know you said yours were really active. The tank is only 36 inches long. I may go with them if you don't think they'll be crowded in there. I do want some Pearls. I just have to decide where my betta is going to go. I want to dismantle the 10g, but if the betta doesn't go in the 38g, I may divide the 10g and get a crowntail. I will have to make is low maintenance though.

I may go with the Scribble pleco for this tank, since it is smaller and then get the Queen Arabesque for the other 55g.

Oh yeah, 36" will be plenty of swimming room for the blues. I wouldn't put them in a 24" tank like Cali was talking about, but 36" is fantastic. Mine like to swim with the rummynoses.

That scribble pleco is a neat alternative to the ridiculously high priced Zebra plec. I got mine here: http://www.exoticfinds.net/firstplecopage.html

All great choices! Grab some of those pearls if you have the room. I couldn't find any locally until it was too late.

I'm not that fond of Plecos in planted tanks; so many eat or otherwise damage plants (sometimes unintentionally, as Plecos can be skittish an sometimes freak out for no apparant reason). Plus, on a personal note, I don't really like mixing bigger fish with smaller fish. I just looks unbalanced to me, though I suspect I'm in the minority here! :) I'll definitely be getting a Pleco when I set up my new 55g Cichlid this winter (hopefully).

I'd get some Otocinclus cats; they are cute and fun and helpful (eating algae). If you have little algae, they should happily eat good quality (i.e., Hikari) algae wafers.

I also recommend Cherry Barbs! They are beautiful, friendly, energetic, and fun! I really love mine, and mine have been perfectly peaceful (never once nipping fins, even though they share a 20L tank with two Fancy Guppies).

With a heavily planted tank, some "plant-friendly" snails are nice (I have plain pond snails) as they help clean up dead plant matter, along with some smaller loaches to keep the snail population in check. Loaches are amazingly fun fish, too! I **ADORE** my two Salwnsis/Kubotai Loaches. They are TOTAL hams and have become the real stars of my 38g tank.

Shrimp, perhaps Cherry Shrimp or Bamboo Shrimp, might also be a fun and interesting option. Shrimp are fun to watch and surprisingly personable, and are nice as another type of clean-up crew.

I saw some pearls a couple months ago at a LPS that I rarely visit. I'll have to stop back by there and see if they still have them...hopefully they do! I just don't have the money to order a bunch of fish online.

I should be able to buy the Eco next week and then a light fixture a couple weeks after that. I'm supposed to be "saving money" since I'm starting nursing school and won't get to work much, but I like my fish alot better...so I'm still spending!

So the stocking will be:
8 harlequin rasboras
4 or so Conchu blues
1-2 pearl gouramis
1 scribble pleco
6 panda cories
4 albino cories (will move out one day when I get the other 55g setup...they are still around 1 inch)
3 ottos (maybe?)

Or, I might leave the pandas where they are and move the albinos to the 38g and get a few more...thoughts?

How does that sound? Feel free anyone to make comments on numbers....thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the suggestions Daryl. I guess I was typing my post when you were typing yours! I have a bristlenose in my 55g planted and he hangs out on the driftwood all day. He doesn't bother the plants and eats some algae. The yoyo loaches do more damage to the plants (uprooting newly planted ones) then the bristlenose does. The scribble pleco is small...stays around 3-3.5 inches, so I don't think it will hurt anything. They are also carnivorous, so they won't eat my plants.

I have cherry barbs in my 29g...I like them alot, but want something different in this tank. Also, my panda and albino cories will be moving from the 29g to give them more room (i think), so I don't think there will be room for loaches. I did consider getting some polka dot loaches...but they are real expensive in my area (~$20 each).

That sounds like a good list.

Your points on the Scribble plec are spot on. They max out at 3" and they are not plant eaters at all. In fact, planetcatfish tells you to feed them mostly meaty fare like worms and such. I bought sinking carnivore pellets and TetraMin tablets for mine and he's doing well.....I've had him for months with nary a plant touched. I do feed him the odd spirulina tablet, but only for variety.....mostlly he eats the others. My other fish do more damage to my plants than my plec (especially the stupid platies).

That gives me an idea of what I can keep...thanks! I have a tendency to stock a tank to the max. There are just too many fish I want.

I know the feeling.

Well I thought I'd drag this thread out because I'm getting closer to setting this tank up. Its going to be a heavily planted high tech (high light and pressurized CO2) tank.

I've made some changes to my proposed stocking list....but things can still change. :)

This is what I'm looking at:

8 Harlequin rasboras
6-8 Pseudomugil furcatus (rainbowfish)...assuming I'll be able to get my hands on some
6-8 Albino cories
3 Pearl gouramis
1 Scribble pleco
4-6 otocinclus

Looks like alot when I type it out, but i don't think it will be overstocked. I still have time to tweak it, if its overstocked. If I can't find the rainbows I'll go with 4-6 Conchu Blue tetras, like I had planned on.

I'm not sure about the Scribble pleco now. Before it wasn't going to be a high tech heavily planted tank...so I'm not sure if I want a plec uprooting my plants. This guy should stay small though, so I'm not counting him out yet. If I can get my hands on some Pitbull plecos (Parotocinclus jumbo, LDA025), then I'll have them instead of the otos and possibly instead of the pleco. I'm not certain I'll ever be able to locate them though.

So if anyone knows an online site that sells Furcata rainbows or Pitbull plecs...by all means let me know. I'd really appreciate it!!

Furcata picture. These guys are gorgeous!

I will update as I gather things for the tank and possibly have a journal about the setup.

Thanks for all the input before. :)

are furcata those glass tetras? im not sure looking at the pic, looks kinda like one.

i know petsmart sells them, glass tetra/furcata not sure what they call them though

Back
Top Bottom