Stocking a 45 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm purchasing a 45 gallon aquarium, 36x12x24, qnd want to know what I should keep in it. It will be filtered by 2 sunsun canisters, lighted by a dual T5 setup. I'm thinking on keeping plants, so are there any recommendations on a plant based substrate? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So, your buying the Aqueon and upgrading that hideous lighting eh? Personally i love the tank.

Now some people will hate my thoughts on these... And disagree on size. It's all about having height... so i would use it.

Personally focusing on a high fin fish like Rams, Angelfish, Sailfish (or Yucatan ig you can find em) Molly or Discus is my love for this tank.

Otherwise a community with dedicated top, middle and bottom dwellers also takes advantage of the design of the tank.

I have a community in mine with Rams. Trying to do a bit of both.

Is your dual T5 the HO 39wattx2? If so you are looking at low to medium light setup due to the depth. I have a Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ in mine and it's about smack dab in the same range at PAR 21 at 24 inches. Yours could be anywhere from 15 to 35 from my research.

Good luck and don't forget to cycle!

Cycle will be easy (have seeded media) it's actually a used aqueon and they did upgrade that nasty lighting lol. I was thinking 4 angels, a GBR, and some schooling fish (cherry barbs?) The tank will be way over filtered, so could this work?

Cycle will be easy (have seeded media) it's actually a used aqueon and they did upgrade that nasty lighting lol. I was thinking 4 angels, a GBR, and some schooling fish (cherry barbs?) The tank will be way over filtered, so could this work?

I would do two GBR and make sure you setup some rocky decor or driftwood at each end of the tank for them to own. Otherwise they are kinda boring... But two and its a show.

Schooling fish yes... I don't know Cherry Barbs personally. But you want a dither fish to chill out the rams and angels, and that's what sone sedate schooling fish can do. They tend to watch them and it removes some stress.

Ok cool thanks. What would be the best substrate for a lightly planted tank? I've seen some Nat Geo substrate for $5 for 10lbs I think. Both sand and small gravel. I'm also thinking about stocking some Cory catfish.

Back
Top Bottom