Stocking a 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a 5 gallon tank and I wanted to stock it with a dwarf puffer and a dwarf crawfish. Does this stock sound ok?

Although I think the chance of injury to the puffer is low, they are very curious fish. I don't think it would be impossible for the crayfish to harm the dwarf puffer.

Although I think the chance of injury to the puffer is low, they are very curious fish. I don't think it would be impossible for the crayfish to harm the dwarf puffer.

Yes I thought about that. Claws are very small tho, although they can cause harm, could it be fatal to the puffer?

Am I the only one that thinks the puffer will try to destroy the dwarf crayfish. I have heard off them picking full grown cherry shrimp to piece's.Just something to point out

Puffers (of all sizes) are hard-wired to try and eat inverts. Just because the crayfish is too big to eat outright doesn't mean the puffer won't constantly try to pick at it. I can easily see the puffer biting off the cray's antennae in no time, and possibly getting injured when the cray fights back.

The crayfish also is vulnerable when it molts, meaning the puffer can kill it if it's not tucked away into a tight little hole. Even if it is in a hidey hole, puffers can shoot water into holes to flush out prey (in this case, the crayfish). At best, the cray gets picked on until it dies or is killed outright, at worst, both cray and puffer come out of it badly.

Back
Top Bottom